·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
The placement of the oil filter on the '10-'12 Subarus is all but absurd.

You have to reach THROUGH the exhaust headers to loosen it.... Not an easy task when the car is hot to say the least.

That is solved on the the new engine, as the filter is on top. My dad added a Fumoto valve to his Forester and he can do oil changes in <5 mins without any tools or getting his hands dirty.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
I've got the same situation with my 2nd gen as in your picture after having put unequal length exhaust headers in. The plumbing wraps around the filter in similar fashion. My work around, and I don't know of any other way, is to buy a filter socket and a long extension driver to reach it up to the filter. But this method also means being stuck buying a particular size of oil filter for the filter socket I have. It's worked find for my purposes thus far.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The placement of the oil filter on the '10-'12 Subarus is all but absurd.

You have to reach THROUGH the exhaust headers to loosen it.... Not an easy task when the car is hot to say the least.

That is solved on the the new engine, as the filter is on top. My dad added a Fumoto valve to his Forester and he can do oil changes in <5 mins without any tools or getting his hands dirty.
Can you use an oil extractor (Pella, etc.) to get the oil out through the dipstick hole on Subarus? Then there's no getting under involved.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,927 Posts
Huh, pic doesn't make it look all that bad. easy peasy with an end-cap wrench.

Filter on top- where the heck does the oil in the filter go once you loosen it?

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT touring
337 Posts
You can make a suppressor for your gun using a oil filter.
But the BATF won't be amused.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not seeing it... something subaru related?
The blog "justrolledintotheshop" is making fun of the inaccessible design of the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Huh, pic doesn't make it look all that bad. easy peasy with an end-cap wrench.

I have yet to find an end cap that fits the OEM filter snugly.

With the filter on top, there is a lip so when you loosing the filter the oil just drains back down. I haven't done it personally, but I've never heard my dad complain about that problem. He does, however, comment frequently about how easy it is.

It's not that big of a problem, I broke down and bought a cheap set of mechanics gloves to keep from burning my hand/knuckles when removing it. I suppose if I was patient I could just wait for the car to cool down. However you do have to be more diligent to wipe and oil off the exhaust.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
572 Posts
Good thing the FB25 in my 2013 is on top!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
533 Posts
I have yet to find an end cap that fits the OEM filter snugly.
This is absolutely true. The end cap, A255 that dealers sell fits previous USDM Subaru oil filter 15208aa100 (Still the OEM filter in certain parts of the world.). If you can find the end cap for aftermarket Fram 9715 filter, it will fit closely with the OEM filter 15208AA12A (maybe it has the same metal can).

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
Your answer is illustrated nicely here with a pic of the new BRZ setup:

Now, if only GM had something like this idea when they put the oil filter on top of a certain Cadillac engine...

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Your answer is illustrated nicely here with a pic of the new BRZ setup:

Now, if only GM had something like this idea when they put the oil filter on top of a certain Cadillac engine...
Heck old Ramblers had it like that, made a mess though.

Going through the headers must be fun when the oil filter is stuck and you have to destroy it to get it off, not that that ever happens ...

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,927 Posts

With the filter on top, there is a lip so when you loosing the filter the oil just drains back down.

Sounds like it pays to keep that lip-area clean so no debris gets washed down into the pump or oil galley when the filter is loosened!

The pic makes it look like there is a narrow area where crud could accumulate that would be almost impossible to clean out before loosening the filter.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This is absolutely true. The end cap, A255 that dealers sell fits previous USDM Subaru oil filter 15208aa100 (Still the OEM filter in certain parts of the world.). If you can find the end cap for aftermarket Fram 9715 filter, it will fit closely with the OEM filter 15208AA12A (maybe it has the same metal can).
I've had 2 or 3 different ones, and they never fit OEM filters tight enough to be useful. The one I have sorta fits, but it's pointless when the filter is on tight, as it just slips.

I've never had a problem with a car that I have done the previous oil change in, which is why I won't break down and buy one like CNY Dave pointed out..

However when I changed my oil for the first time on my Outback, I had to buy a strap wrench to loosen it, and even then I had to CRUSH the filter before it broke loose. The headers did make it a pain to get to the side of the filter for the strap wrench. In the past I have driven a screwdriver through a filter to give me torque to loosen it.. but you can't get to the side to do it on the OB.

Of course, I don't torque mine to 50ft-lbs, so I can loosen it by hand now :29:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts