Subaru Outback Forums banner

Oil Filter Question 2011 & 2013 OB

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  priyadar 
I purchased a second OB earlier this year and its time to change oil. My question is on the 2011 I have this little (short) filter and on the 2013 it looks like the same filter just a little longer (taller).

Since i change my own oil every other oil change (every 7500 miles the dealer does it for free) which filter should I buy?

I purchase oil filters normally in a 10 or 12 pack. So the question is can I use the longer oil filter on both cars?

If so do you think there would be a warranty issue on the 2011 using the longer filter?
Oil filters and oil changes can be done by consumers without any effect on your warranty. Just keep meticulous records of your changes. You can use any filter that fits your application and/or commercially sold. Some of them are tall, some short - some have more holes than others. If you change oil frequently it does not really matter, what brand or shape you use - unless you have turbo or some special engine that requires a very specific oil filter with very specific rate of flow/filtration. I use NAPA oil and air filters, including cabin filters.

All above is true. However, like oil change frequency, the same applies to oil filters (in my opinion). In EU they go 1 year (or 15000 km) oil change frequency while here they go for 3000 miles. In 40-some years driving (new cars under warranty) I never had an issue with the oil filter and/or related warranty. Like someone else mentioned on these pages, it's a scam by the oil industry to generate extra revenues....LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.