Subaru Outback Forums banner

Oil Issues AFTER short block replacement...

34K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Grum 
#1 ·
I posted a while back re: my ongoing saga of the oil consumption problem on my 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium.

Well, I had the short block replaced under warranty, and all was well with the world (even had $1,000 check written to me by the dealer for all the issues I was having with the car). Drove the car for 6-8 months following that bringing us close the the present.

When I drive the car on the highway for a bit then stop and shut the car off, after about 30 seconds smoke starts collecting under the hood and coming out the seams and wheel well and smells potent in the cabin. First place I looked was the brakes, which seemed to be getting abnormally hot. Successfully replaces pads and rotors with no issue (much needed, even though the pads still had some life the rotors were pretty close to shot). Noticed the smoke again....

Upon further inspection, I got under the car and looked at the bottom of the engine, it appears that there is more oil than there should be around the bottom of the engine. My attempt at chasing the smoke to its source lead me to the exhaust manifold/heat shield that seems to have oil dripping on it and then burning off. The exterior seams of the oil pan, parts of the frame, and some other hardware seems to have a light coating of oil on it as if it were sprayed while the engine was in motion.

Has anyone had issues to this? Could it just be a gasket issue? Or am I looking at something a bit more serious?

Thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is there a way to lookup a vehicle by the VIN to see if it has had the short block replaced or was ever registered in the "oil consumption test" at a dealership?

Looking at several used 2010-2013 outbacks and want to be sure I am not buying someone's lemon... Would love to get a good one.

Are there any visible differences for what it would look like if the short block was replaced? Anyone have before and after pictures?

#4 ·
A shortblock replacement should show up on a Carfax or other similar report. The only way it wouldn't is if it was done at a non reporting private shop, which isn't likely for warranty work (or if it was done too recently. It can take 3 months or more to show up.).

#5 ·
Has anyone had issues to this? Could it just be a gasket issue? Or am I looking at something a bit more serious?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would check the PCV Valve and the hose connected to the PCV valve. A gunked up valve could cause pressure to build in the crankcase and cause oil leakage. On a 2013 2.5 the PCV screws into the top of the engine on the passenger side. The hose from the PCV connects into the intake. Remove the PCV with a 19mm (I believe) socket. Clean the inside of the PCV valve with carburetor cleaner. The valve should rattle, when clean, when you shake it. Check the hose to be sure it is clear.

PCV valve hung open will cause excessive oil consumption. PCV valve hung closed will cause pressure in the crankcase.

Simple maintenance that may fix your problem.

#6 ·
Got it in, they put the dye in the oil, and told me to go on driving to look for the leak. Took it back in today for service and just got the call. Appears to be a leak in a gasket behind the front timing cover, so out comes the engine...again. Anywho, the service tech did mention there was an "upgraded sealer" released earlier this year, something tells me this isn't an isolated incident, but further issues from post short block replacement.

#7 ·
Again, these short block replacements are what seems "best effort" by a dealer.

This would piss me off to no end....

If only Subaru would just do the right thing and send whole rebuild and tested engines to dealers. This would resolve a good majority of the problems by techs mistakes. Besides, I just do not think most dealers are well equipped to fully disassemble/assemble an entire motor or even do short block swaps. After all, dealers want to concentrate on money making service.

I hope the "sealer" is a newly updated gasket and not something out of a tube just to 'plug it up" until it also fails later. Proper gasket and sealer can be used IF it was designed specifically for that application. Not as crack the case or cover, squeeze in "sealer" and close/tighten.

If it was me, I'd like to see this "sealer" and any document that shows exactly it's use in relation to your engine.

But then again, I'd be pressing Subaru to swap the engine or make some concession on if the repair to the original was not completed successfully then they can buy the car back and put me in one that is not effected or towards a new model.

I just hope that this time, you finally get this resolved and get some enjoyment from this vehicle.

#9 ·
If only Subaru would just do the right thing and send whole rebuild and tested engines to dealers. This would resolve a good majority of the problems by techs mistakes. Besides, I just do not think most dealers are well equipped to fully disassemble/assemble an entire motor or even do short block swaps. After all, dealers want to concentrate on money making service.
I think there's a delicate balance to be held there. I'm not saying Subaru is doing it right (or wrong) but think about it- if the dealer technicians did less and less repair work, they'd know even less, and they'd be tasked with lesser still. If shipping were cheap enough, they'd be swapping the engine out at every service- let it go back to a central factory for a perfect oil change every time. A number of parts could be eliminated or simplified since nobody other than the central factory technicians & robots would ever be touching the engine other than as a piece of freight.

It's not a new idea- Tucker set out to do that in the 1940s. They didn't last long enough to see if the idea would fly with consumers.

It's quite possible that a system like this will be tried again, but there are going to be some interesting consumer acceptance issues along the way.

#8 ·
it's probably the timing chain cover - those things are a BEAST to install without messing up the intricate 14,356 mile rope of sealant around an awkwardly huge piece of metal.

it looks roughly like this:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ing-chain-cover-bolts-covertorquesequence.gif

bead of sealant goes all the way around that mojo and around each bolt hole. lots of room for mistakes and leaks, though i would think a dealer usually gets it right.

that's good news IMO - at least it wasn't the rear main or headgasket and they seemed to step right up to the plate for you?

#12 ·
2013 Subaru Outback Premium. Short block replaced at 36,000 miles due to oil consumption issue. Gaskets leaking and replaced at 70,000 miles. New short block again at 75,000 miles due to a knock, not due to oil consumption this time. I have started reading many blogs and this seems to be a reoccurring problem with these engines (oil; headgaskets; knocking). There is no good fix. The engine is simply not well engineered. So my only question at this point is whether the newer model Subaru's are any better, or whether I need to move onto another brand. Any insight here would be helpful.
Thanks.

#13 ·
Have you considered finding a 3.6R / 5EAT model? You get a significant step up in horsepower and quite a bit more drivetrain dependability. I still enjoy my 2013 model after nearly four years of troublefree ownership. Except for an oxygen sensor replacement last October, nothing but routine maintenance required by me. The vehicle is currently approaching 51,000 miles.

#14 ·
I appreciate the input. Perhaps I drive too hard for my 2.5i. But given that I'm 47 and have had many, many cars, and I drove them all the same, I don't think my driving is the issue. Additionally, I see a lot of posts that assume maintenance was not conducted adequately. That's not my issue either. I changed oil myself every 6000 with recommended oil and OEM filters. So...at this point...I'm really just wondering whether the models post-2014 are any better. I also understand that they have "re-engineered" the 2020 engines, but I can't find any specifics on what they have done.

#18 ·
Globally I suspect there have been hundreds of thousands of 2.5 motors installed in vehicles since 2013 and there are reports some of them having travelled over 200,000 miles without any problems.

I think this answers the question about reliability of newer engines.

These engines like good quality fresh oil so changing the oil more frequently can be a good choice rather than leaving the oil for the full service interval. “Oil is Cheap” much cheaper than an engine replacement!

Seagrass

#20 ·
I've had two short blocks installed by my dealer. One on a 2012 Impreza, and the other on a 2014 Outback. Neither had any subsequent leaks or showed any signs of burning oil. The new Outback short block has almost 50K on it. I only used the Subaru 0W-20 on each until the original warranty ran out, then I switched to doing my own changes with Amsoil signature 0W-20. It was this forum that alerted me to the ring issue and the short block replacement program. I did have some slight issues with the dealer's methods on the oil comsumption tests, but prevailed. I think the success of the short block replacements was due to the competence of the dealer mechanic (or "technician") that did them. I both cases, they used the same top mechanic, who does all the short block replacements.

#21 ·
Had two short block replacement in my 2014.
Issue seems to have gone away as long as I go regular intervals for oil change. Guessing that I'm still losing some oil, just not enough to trigger light.
Car is paid off, just trying to decide if I can run this thing past the extended warranty with any confidence or if I should get rid of it now and upgrade to something else.

First Subaru and doubt I'll ever be back after this experience.

#22 ·
I have a 2013 Outback Premium that also having oil consumption issues. I recently spent about $2300 at the dealer getting cam lifters etc replaced (not are car but that is what I think they said. I asked them if that would fix the oil leak and they said that it should. With a little prodding I got them to include and oil consumption test that was done after the repair. It failed. Now they are telling me I need to replace the short block. It's a 2013 with about 150,000 miles on it so no warranty.

Any suggestions on how to approach Subaru to get them to cover the short block replacement?

#23 ·
They do not usually cover high mileage engines (150,000 is high mileage) but it does not hurt to ask.

Seagrass

#24 ·
Here we go again. Shortblock replacement just before the 100k mile mark two years ago in my 2013 Subaru Outback wagon and I'll be darned if I am not seeing the oil light come on between oil changes. Only when I pull the dipstick it reads that the level is good. Do I need another block? Should I just change the oil? Me aidez sil vous plaiz

#25 ·
The “low oil” light coming on generally means you need to add a quart of oil.

All four Subaru’s in my family use a quart of oil between oil changes and I consider this to be normal.

Seagrass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.