Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Outback is at the dealership for the 4th time due to an oil leak. During the first three visits they (1) tightened the front diff plug (2) replaced the drain plug gasket (3) installed new drain plug & gasket. Today they told me they diagnosed the problem as a poor front differential seal. Any suggestions? The problem is, after this many attempts to fix the problem (and with unsuccessful results), I simply don't trust the dealership. I have contacted SOA and have a case number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 4 cylinder. Help me, here. I'm a girl who loves cars, but knows nothing about them mechanically. If it's the CVT, why have they been looking at drain plugs, gaskets, and the diff?

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
It's a 4 cylinder. Help me, here. I'm a girl who loves cars, but knows nothing about them mechanically. If it's the CVT, why have they been looking at drain plugs, gaskets, and the diff?

Oil from a leak can run along the side of a engine or transmission and drip some distance from the leak. That's only an excuse for your first trip, after that the dealer should have taken the time to track down the source of the leak. I agree with what others have said, try a different dealer and mention the story of the person who had their transmission replaced.Let us know how it goes. Sorry it's taking so long for you to get this resolved.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
They always do the cheap things first, no matter how unlikely that it is the real problem. If you have been in twice already, without satisfaction, you would probably be best served by going to another dealer. Show the new dealer the paperwork from the first unsuccessful repairs. If they don't instill confidence that they will be able to fix it, or are not cooperative, start a case with SOA. It will be in corporate Subaru's best interest to straighten out the dealers, and make you happy. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's my experience with lazy dealers as well, they´'ll just do the cheapest possible repair first, even if it's highly unlikely that's the real error.
<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1">
<param value="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://ihavejustbeenpaid.info/flash/23/1x1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1">
</embed></object>

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Call Subaru!!! Tell them which dealer is having issues fixing the leak - they will get on the dealer or send someone to the dealer who knows how to fix stuff.

Stop messing with the dealer go to Subaru.com get the phone contact number and just call subaru. Dealing with dealers like this is just a waste of time till Mother subaru comes down on them like a load of bricks to get the fix done correctly.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Unfortunately, par for the course is to stall and ‘tire’ you out. And when a woman comes in, anything goes.
Welcome aboard, good move to take a read on what the forum says. Post the specifics on what you’re encountering, so the forum can have a better understanding.<O:p
Yes, the dealer/shop starts on the basics plugs/gaskets as those are indeed leak points. However, it doesn’t take much to put a finger on a plug that doesn’t leak and they still “We tightened the flux capacitor”.<O:p
<O:p
Any knowledgeable shop would’ve done a dye test to locate a stubborn leak (maybe they did).<O:p
Quiz them exhaustively on ‘the problem as a poor front differential seal’. How did they determine that, ‘show me’. What is their next recourse, what is the timeline and their response (loan car) to downtime.<O:p

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like the "show me" response. Put it up on a lift and show me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, they're replacing the entire CVT. Funny, I emailed the Service Mgr this morning after reading some things on the forums last night and said, "Could it be the CVT?" A couple hours later I had a response that they're replacing the entire CVT. I'm not naive enough to think it was because of my email...but one could think that! No, the SOA field service engineers were involved and had to approve the replacement.

As I said before, I have little faith in this dealership, so the fact that my OB is the first late model they've replaced the CVT on (per them), I'm hoping they can do it right.

SOA is involved (has been for a week), and they've promised some type of "goodwill" for my problems. I should have my OB back the middle of next week. Does anyone know if there's a SB out for this problem? Just wondering since I've seen the posts and the problem doesn't appear to be uncommon.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I would ask for a 10yr - 100K warranty to cover quality of workmanship issues due to the Dealership replacing a major component in the car.

My experience has been when major engine work and transmission work is done at dealers there is a very high probability that the quality of the work ie the skilled hands is not exactly that great and you run into problems related to this down the road. Having Subaru fork over a 100K warranty will give you the piece of mind that if Joe the wrench is not all that skilled your not stuck paying for another fix it job because he didn't follow the installation instructions fully etc.

Subaru should be more than willing to do this given its nothing compared to the cost of replacing the CVT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2012 Outback is at the dealership for the 4th time due to an oil leak. During the first three visits they (1) tightened the front diff plug (2) replaced the drain plug gasket (3) installed new drain plug & gasket. Today they told me they diagnosed the problem as a poor front differential seal. Any suggestions? The problem is, after this many attempts to fix the problem (and with unsuccessful results), I simply don't trust the dealership. I have contacted SOA and have a case number.
I thought 3 attempts to repair a single problem on a new car qualified as a lemon under the lemon law. If so, then they have to reimburse you for what you paid for the car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
I would ask for a 10yr - 100K warranty to cover quality of workmanship issues due to the Dealership replacing a major component in the car.

My experience has been when major engine work and transmission work is done at dealers there is a very high probability that the quality of the work ie the skilled hands is not exactly that great and you run into problems related to this down the road. Having Subaru fork over a 100K warranty will give you the piece of mind that if Joe the wrench is not all that skilled your not stuck paying for another fix it job because he didn't follow the installation instructions fully etc.

Subaru should be more than willing to do this given its nothing compared to the cost of replacing the CVT.
I have the same experience. Has anyone had luck getting an extended warranty?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did just read that Subaru had 5 business days to fix my car after I notified them of three unsuccessful attempts. My car may qualify under the Lemon Law at this point. I'll need to do additional research. They've had it for 5.5 business days, and it won't be done until the middle of next week.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I'd be satisfied with a new transmission. Should be an easy job on a car this new. Seems major, but I'd rather have a new transmission than a re-painted body panel any day.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
I don’t see how they’re obligated on a (car) replacement, unless you do a lemon law. At least push for a new tranny and not a rebuilt (as the warranty allows, I believe).<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts