Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have an Outback (2019). I took it to the dealer here in Charleston, SC for the 30,000miles maintenance service and paid over $600 (it has 38,000miles). I’m sure they overcharged me. One week later the car barely has oil and it’s leaking. It has been used just twice since the service. I mentioned to them that something was going on with the oil because the light in the dashboard was on and off for days (they changed the oil back in March with 35,000 miles) but didn’t find anything of course. Should I take it back to the dealer? Should they fix it at no cost? I can’t drive the car like that. I went under the car and saw the oil coming from the drain plug. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,780 Posts
If oil is dripping from the sump bung then check your invoice to see if you were charged for a new washer (should be replaced each oil change). If they charged you for the washer then I would ask them why it is leaking.

Yes you should take it back to the dealer and yes they should resolve the problem at no cost to you.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,052 Posts
I mentioned to them that something was going on with the oil because the light in the dashboard was on and off for days. They didn’t find anything of course.
Was something going on with the oil light in the dashboard before you took it to them? Is it only going on and off for days since you took it to them? When you mentioned to them that something was going on with the oil, was this during the service in person, over the phone after the service, or in person at another visit?

If they said they didn't find anything, does this mean that the oil level was full?

Reactions: seagrass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If oil is dripping from the sump bung then check your invoice to see if you were charged for a new washer (should be replaced each oil change). If they charged you for the washer then I would ask them why it is leaking.

Yes you should take it back to the dealer and yes they should resolve the problem at no cost to you.

Seagrass
Yes, the invoice says that they “replaced drain plug gasket”.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was something going on with the oil light in the dashboard before you took it to them? Is it only going on and off for days since you took it to them? When you mentioned to them that something was going on with the oil, was this during the service in person, over the phone after the service, or in person at another visit?

If they said they didn't find anything, does this mean that the oil level was full?
I didn’t see oil leaking where I usually park before I took it to them but the light was going on and off. I told them about it over the phone when scheduling the appointment and in-person.
I can’t move the car since it doesn’t enough oil. Hopefully they offer an option to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,052 Posts
Ok thanks for the clarification... if you feel that the dealership isn't handling the situation well then call Subaru of America. Sometimes it helps - the number is in my signature.

When the oil light was flickering was the oil level low prior to the appointment or was it just the light and the oil level was fine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the clarification... if you feel that the dealership isn't handling the situation well then call Subaru of America. Sometimes it helps - the number is in my signature.

When the oil light was flickering was the oil level low prior to the appointment or was it just the light and the oil level was fine?
The oil level was low. I will call the dealer today. I can’t drive the car with no oil so I don’t know what to do in that case but let’s see what they say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I see on the picture, I think that oil drain plug is not tightened all the way down! I can clearly see, the drain plug thread, and “open space” between the plug and the oil pan
I didn’t see that gap. Second time this happens with this dealer (Crews Subaru of Charleston).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The loose drain plug seems like the most logical and easiest to fix problem. The two issues you need to deal with after that are you going to trust that dealer anymore and did you drive it far on low oil so there will be further damage that may take 100,000 miles to appear? For this last one, sell the vehicle if the answer is yes. For the first one, I would talk to the repair manager at the dealer about what happened and you need some assurance this type of thing is not going to happen again. Many dealers and shops now have video to where they can go back and in this case, see the mechanic did not use a torque wrench after finger tightening the drain bolt. The service manager needs to be attentive to your concern of sloppy work and tell you what is going to happen to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The loose drain plug seems like the most logical and easiest to fix problem. The two issues you need to deal with after that are you going to trust that dealer anymore and did you drive it far on low oil so there will be further damage that may take 100,000 miles to appear? For this last one, sell the vehicle if the answer is yes. For the first one, I would talk to the repair manager at the dealer about what happened and you need some assurance this type of thing is not going to happen again. Many dealers and shops now have video to where they can go back and in this case, see the mechanic did not use a torque wrench after finger tightening the drain bolt. The service manager needs to be attentive to your concern of sloppy work and tell you what is going to happen to prevent it from happening again.
The car was driven around 5 times (close to 100 miles total after the service) but the oil light came up yesterday when coming back home so around 10 miles when still had some oil. The dealer sent a towing company so the car is already there (I hope). I just called them and they didn’t know if the car was there so they are going to call me back. I’ll ask for the video or proof but definitely I don’t trust them at all. After this is fixed (I hope they do it right), I’m taking my car somewhere else. I actually got charge for a new gasket so it should be new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a dealer not tighten the drain bolt on one of its free new car changes. That particular owner had recently purchased the Subaru dealership after owing a few other brands in the area. The owner had a reputation for paying little and taking shortcuts. We drove our vehicle to one an hour further away after that. That was before the current worker shortage. In today's job market who knows what kind of person they had doing it. The person from this, and other things they did, may be gone soon.

I had a reputable tire/mechanic shop break my windshield. I had them change the wiper blades and the impact break lined up perfectly with where the wiper arm would connect with the windshield if pushed back from its upright position. The owner asked if I would come into the shop. He had me come into his office, turned his monitor around to where I could see it, and played the video of the newbie mechanic doing it. He apologized, said the guy would be let go, and paid a glass company to come out and replace my windshield at my work.

Another time I picked up my vehicle from an oil change place that was right next to my work and gave the employees of my work a discount. They were locally owned and valued their reputation. It drove fine the 1 block from their parking lot to mine. Went I went home that night, after they were closed, the transmission felt terrible. Turns out their low dollar new employee took the CVT level plug off and topped it off with ATF, even though the transmission was not part of the job asked for or paid for. That was a nightmare, but eventually, I got a brand new CVT installed by the dealer paid for by the oil change place. They fired the employee and I used them a few more times before I decided, with the proper inexpensive setup I would rather change my oil, CVT fluid, struts, sparkplugs, change airfilters, clean mass airflow sensor, PVC valve, brake pad and rotors, brake fluid, and more myself. With the help of Youtube and things like a battery impact driver, it is amazing what I have been able to do.

Any dealer could have a bad a person on staff who did this to your vehicle, to me the question are they truly sorry, and will they take measures to try and prevent it from happening again? Put the pressure on them to convince you if you are willing to stay with them!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited SSD Strut Brace
18 Posts
Hi. I have an Outback (2019). I took it to the dealer here in Charleston, SC for the 30,000miles maintenance service and paid over $600 (it has 38,000miles). I’m sure they overcharged me. One week later the car barely has oil and it’s leaking. It has been used just twice since the service. I mentioned to them that something was going on with the oil because the light in the dashboard was on and off for days (they changed the oil back in March with 35,000 miles) but didn’t find anything of course. Should I take it back to the dealer? Should they fix it at no cost? I can’t drive the car like that. I went under the car and saw the oil coming from the drain plug. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks.

After a dealer sevice for the differential that included an oil change, I noticed a small oil leak at the rear. The dealer had not torqued the upper diff bolt. While under it, I saw oil at the engine drain plug. They used a new washer on top of the existing washer. SHEESH. Mine never lost oil like yours - I thought I'd share what the "expert" dealer techs are capable of.

·
Registered
70 Posts
selling the vehicle without disclosing something like this as being the reason for sale may be the norm, but might not agree with your own morals. it's possible that subaru will extend your warranty on account of a dealer mistake, but I would expect to need some cooperation in reporting the mistake, from the dealer. maybe try to contact the service manager and tell them that you guess it may be up to them whether they take responsibility for the mistake on your car, but you feel they should at least be aware that this kind of mistake is happening so they can develop their staff properly. their response will be a good indication of whether or not it makes sense to keep doing business with them.

$600 for 30k service is what it costs in sf. has cost of living skyrocketed in SC?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
164 Posts
I didn’t see that gap. Second time this happens with this dealer (Crews Subaru of Charleston).
Just curious. Is that the Crews Subaru on Rivers Avenue? That's where I take my car, so I may have to check things more carefully in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts