Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 Silver w/ Grey Trim
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2006 Outback 2.5i N/A with a manual trans and 73,000 miles. It has had it's regular oil changes and hasn't had any issues yet. I just noticed today that there are some oil drops under it, and upon closer inspection I found what looks to be a leaky sensor (I'm guessing camshaft sensor?). I took a few pictures of it and was hoping someone might be able to offer their two cents. I'm really hoping it's just a sensor leak and not the dreaded HG. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 Silver w/ Grey Trim
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, is it possible to just replace the seal/o-ring or is a whole new sensor the only way to fix it?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,487 Posts
That's not the cam sensor. I looked at the photos screwy. The cam sensor is bolted to the backside of the rear TB cover. That plug to the right of the actuator, just below it.

That is the VVT pressure switch, or diagnostic switch. It sends the pressures change to the ECM so it knows whether the actuator is working or not. It uses thread sealant. I can't tell in the photo whether or not its being shot up through the switch or its just from the threads. Unplug it, if its dry inside the switch, remove it, clean it, thread sealant and torque it back down, 17Nm.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Note to torque cardoc gave. It's important! You don't want to crack the block there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts