Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 2.5L legacy, and among other problems, I have an oil leak. Ordinarily this would not concern me greatly, however the source appears to be coming from the timing belt region, sneaking out from the cover and getting on the underside of my vehicle. This potentially compromises my timing belt's integrity and it will fail sooner than if this leak were not present. Where do I look for a leak first? Is it my cam seals, or something else?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
Kiljoi3130,

The only way you'll know for sure where the oil is coming from, is to pull the timing belt covers and look. Check the many YouTube videos for Timing Belt change vids. Just be sure to watch the correct one for your engine, as some bolts for the covers may be in different locations. The job will be much easier (more room) if you pull the fan assemblies first. Removing the radiator will give you even more room, but may not be necessary. Good Luck!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
You can remove the inspection cover from the left side of the timing cover very easily. I think it's just 3 10mm fasteners, nothing else needs to be removed.

You won't be able to see much, but you'll be able to tell if oil has already contaminated the belt. You might get an idea of the left side cam seal. You won't be able to see the right side or the crank seal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts