Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 XT

Changing my timing belt this weekend at 104k. I noticed there was a fair amount of oil on the passenger side, right above the timing cover. It looked like it was related to the power steering pump, but it also seemed more like oil, not ATF (which is what they use in the power steering). Is there a gasket behind the power steering pump? It seemed odd to me.

Dry in the timing belt cover though!

Tom

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Above you can see the stain on the timing belt cover between the PS pump and the alternator, although, it doesn't appear to be ATF, as I said. There was more of it there before I mopped it up. Some pooling under the pump.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
Could it be the oil pressure switch, on the block, underneath the alternator, single wire connector on the top?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, switch looks dry. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anything around the pump? It really seems isolated to that area. Maybe the pump just has a slow leak and it looks like oil? Nothing on the head behind it. No noticable drop in PS fluid.

Tom

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
If the power steering fluid has been in circulation for a long time, it turns brown like oil.

The only thing in that area that would leak oil is the PS pump seals, the banjo bolt seal or the feed hose.

Clean it with a brake cleaner, dry it and run the engine turning the steering wheel a few times then check it again.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent suggestion. I'll try that out.

Tom

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
As said, ATF can be dark in the pump and then quickly gets black in the environment, picking up dust, debris, etc.

If you're loosing much then you should notice it reading low on the dipstick on the power steering reservoir, have you checked the level?

Power steering pump leaks are fairly common and there are quite a few easy and cheap fixes for them depending where it's leaking.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The level looks good on the PS reservoir. I will try to isolate the leak. I'm more and more convinced it's the PS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts