Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Legacy gt wagon
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tribeca 06 w the H6 engine run great, developed a serious oil leak from the front of engine today . Lost 4 quarts Oil in 500 miles. It has 215000 miles. I have heard the H6 engine in outback is a good high mileage engine.my goal is to make 300k.

My leagacy wagon 02 has 145k , although it got a factory short block at 100k

My cars All run and handle like new,but I keep up on all the stuff

Thank you all for the help
Dean

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,977 Posts
My Tribeca 06 w the H6 engine run great, developed a serious oil leak from the front of engine today . Lost 4 quarts Oil in 500 miles. It has 215000 miles. I have heard the H6 engine in outback is a good high mileage engine.my goal is to make 300k.

My leagacy wagon 02 has 145k , although it got a factory short block at 100k

My cars All run and handle like new,but I keep up on all the stuff

Thank you all for the help
Dean
moved to new thread.

oil cooler or its lines maybe? that is down in front.

or is it leaking out of the timing chain cover ?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
Is is center, left, right, rear/front?

Can you post pictures?
If you do post pic's - get pic's of the *SOURCE*, not where it ends up. Further forward/higher are more likely to be closer to the source.

Likely leak sources:
Crank seal, oil filter, oil cooler gasket, valve covers, timing chain covers. If I had to guess with absolutely zero information like we have now I would suspect crank seal and oil filter most likely.

If it's otherwise ran perfectly for a long time until the usually a large oil leak is a seal - the only seal up front is the crank seal. but that's a very rare leakage point for EZ engines.

So we're back to the beginning - if it's leaking that bad it should be really obvious where the leak is.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,412 Posts
Four quarts in 500 miles isn't a seepage past a gasket, it's a gusher. Something is either pushing it out under pressure, or throwing it out - and of course both the oil cooler / lines and the timing chain have been mentioned as possible culprets. Check also the sealing gasket on the oil filter.

If it's too big a mess to tell the real source, have someone wash it down clean, then open the hood, start it, and watch. I'm sure you'll see the source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts