Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Lancaster 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just noticed that along with my transmission oil leak, I've now got an engine oil leak to keep it company. Here are photos of it, its a 2000 outback 2.5L Auto.

My question is, is it worth paying to get it fixed(im no mechanic) or should I just keep topping it up when needed? (hasn't needed yet)

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
905 Posts
If the leak is just the valve covers its a relatively easy and cheap repair.

·
Registered
2000 Lancaster 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Timberwolf, so does it look like a valve cover leak to you?

Can anyone else tell from the photos what is leaking?

Thanks

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2005 H4 engine. All along, I thought it was the oil filter on the bottom of the engine, I would tighten the filter and it would seem to stop leaking. Had I thought it might have been something other than that, I would have claimed it while I still had a warranty.

Now I have purchased a new set of valve cover gaskets, O-rings, etc. which I plan to install. I hope the leak is remedied by that as I hate to think it could be the head gaskets.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i can't see it in the pic, but usually there is an oil cooler that the oil filter threads on to. and there is a large o-ring gasket between it and the block. it tends to leak with age. it cost about $7 at the dealer and takes less than an hour to replace.

that's not the only leak but it is a leak. and it is probably the one leaving a drip in your drive way over night.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, missied your response somehow, I would do the valve cover, spark plug orings, and cover grommets, give the underside of the motor a good clean and monitor further inboard for head gasket leaks.

But it looks like a majority of the oil is around the valve covers, so try that first.

·
Registered
2000 Lancaster 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, valve cover gaskets it is then. along with the cover grommets and spark plug o rings. Should the gaskets be torqued at a specific setting?

Is there any info out there covering all the torque specs on all gaskets etc for the EJ25?

I'm going to give it a go myself when i get the time, after reading through all the information here i'm more confident that I can get it done without too much drama.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Pdftown and download the almost full workshop manual, I think it's for 2002 though the specs and instructions should be the same.

·
Registered
2000 Lancaster 2.5L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pdftown 2002 manual doesnt work, links no longer available.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Try the 2000 download, seemed to work for me, but i tried it on my iPad and it hasn't quite finished yet.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Try the 2000 download, seemed to work for me, but i tried it on my iPad and it hasn't quite finished yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts