Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Thanks for all the great information.

I have an oil leak or leaks coming from behind my engine somewhere. Was hoping it was my oilpan, but looking on this site has got me thinking its the separator plate. Once I verify that it's not the pan, I am thinking of pulling my engine to do the job. I'm also going to change my clutch at the same time, probably timing belt(even though it was changed 20k miles ago, valve cover gaskets, oil pump o-ring, etc. I've had this car for about a year without any problems but the leaks. My questions:

1. Is pulling the engine the right move or should I just go from underneath and take out the tranny?

2. While I have the engine out, should I change the head gaskets? I don't know if they were ever changed. I have no evidence of blown gaskets so far.

3. If I change the head gaskets, do I have to remove the cams, even if I have the engine out or does that have nothing to do with it? (apparently there is some bolt that's hard to get to)

4. How do I tell what phase engine I have?

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5L. Apparently there are two phases for this year.

Do I have a SOHC or DOHC?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If your going to pull the engine and you have tested the Head gaskets and have a leak then makes sense you would do the whole deal and drop a nearly new engine back into the car when your done. Labor is the largest cost and given your doing it your self then its just a fun winter project right?

Do some digging and get the shop manual for it!

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
1. Is pulling the engine the right move or should I just go from underneath and take out the tranny?
If you have access to a lift, taking out the tranny is probably easier. Otherwise, I'd pull the engine.

3. If I change the head gaskets, do I have to remove the cams,
If you have the DOHC engine, and you probably do, then yes you have to remove the cams as they cover the head bolts. But by the time you get that far into the engine, it's not that big of a deal.

4. How do I tell what phase engine I have?

·
Registered
2002 Outback
748 Posts
I would pull the engine and do head gaskets while I had it out and so much easier to get to them. I agree on the clutch. Timing belt may be a bit overboard since they aren't that difficult to do in-situ. Were the rollers replaced too?

·
Registered
2002 Outback
748 Posts
Yes. It's a good idea to take a close look at these since if one seizes it will most likely take out the belt along the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So should I change the gaskets or not? I have no signs of failure yet. I have 143K miles on it. I'm pretty sure I have the phase 1 engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts