Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback, 2.5L H4 with a custom-built cold-air intake, Red and Baige with an aerodynamically designed roof rack
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doesn't sound right, but there is a dipstick in the transmission, DRY!!!! 80/90 Gear oil or what????

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Wow, that's no good, hopefully you caught it before anything bad happened...

Auto or Manual? Only difference is the amount of gear oil that goes in. 75w-90 is what is called for.

Any conventional oil will be fine - there seem to be only a few synthetics that work "well".

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Search the forum a bit... many here recommend NOT using Mobil-1 synthetic for manual transaxle.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,222 Posts
where did the oil go? You need to check underneath for leaks. Definitely fix any leaks before putting any high $$$$$$ fluid back in.

The manual tranny can be picky about fluid. One of the best is Subaru Extra-S. Some dealerships repackage it or, if you bring a conatainer, will sell you some from the big bucket they get.

Fred Beans will sell you quarts. (OEM Car Parts | Performance Car Parts | Fred Beans Parts Doylestown PA)

Any GL-5 is fairly safe, but many folks have shifting problems with most synthetics, or anything with super-slippery additives. The problem is, the diff shares the same fluid as the transmission and finding a fluid good for both can be tricky.

there's a huge thread about it at NASIOC.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT
70 Posts
Any GL-5 is fairly safe, but many folks have shifting problems with most synthetics, or anything with super-slippery additives. The problem is, the diff shares the same fluid as the transmission and finding a fluid good for both can be tricky.

there's a huge thread about it at NASIOC.
I definitely agree. I'm using a Redline cocktail that I'm not very fond of. Shifting is a bit less smooth 1-2, 2-3 than before. Don't know what I'll use next time around though.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,222 Posts
I definitely agree. I'm using a Redline cocktail that I'm not very fond of. Shifting is a bit less smooth 1-2, 2-3 than before. Don't know what I'll use next time around though.

yeah, I liked 100% Redline LW Shockproof for the first few thousand miles - but now I have some 'kickback' if I'm slow going 2 -> 3 . Shifting fast is great! Still can get into first while rolling 10-15 mph. maybe it get too hot here for the LightWeight?

very weird.

Thinking about an Extra-S plus Redline HW combo but - might just get all extra-S.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy Outback, 2.5L H4 with a custom-built cold-air intake, Red and Baige with an aerodynamically designed roof rack
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, all the problems are squared away with no problems following

1 - 7 of 7 Posts