Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium w/Eyesite
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been happening every since I got this car; now out of warranty so maybe I'll just have to live with it.

Please excuse if this has been answered elsewhere.

After a long cross country drive (1500 - 3000 miles) the oil warning light comes on. Usually what I find when I check the oil is that it's 1/2 way between the two dots on the dipstick. I add a 1/2 quart and it goes off again.

Does this indicate a bad sensor, or a too-aggresive one? Is it worth fixing?

Thanks...

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,537 Posts
I think you will find that the sensor is working as designed. The warning is that your oil is low not that there is no oil.

Thanks for paying attention to the warning light and topping up the oil.

Hope this helps

Seagrass

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I brought in my 2013 for the oil consumption test, they said that my software was out of date. And they updated it to reflect whatever new standards the oil sensor should have now. Now, the light comes on when the oil is below the bottom dot. I think your car is playing it safer.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
The manual says the oil level light will come on when approximately 1 qt low. It may even say 1.1 qt, but I don’t have the book handy.

In my case, very near my oil change interval, the light would come on for a few minutes and then turn off. Each time I checked the oil it was 1/2 qt low. I would top it off and wait until the next interval to change the oil.

This morning, at the dealership for an oil change, I mentioned it. They updated the firmware to the latest version that is supposed to fix that,

Stop by the dealer, mention the problem, and ask about a software update. Mine was done for no charge when the oil was changed.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,287 Posts
It sounds to me as if you indicator is WAD (Working As Designed)

It lights up. You find the level to be a bit low and topping up makes it go out.

I am not sure what there is to FIX.... the indicator may have saved your engine from destruction several time over.

I see the REAL issue is that your vehicle is consuming oil.... even here., I would suggest you simply carry a quart in your car and top up as-needed. No need for anything to be "fixed"

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
It sounds to me as if you indicator is WAD (Working As Designed)

It lights up. You find the level to be a bit low and topping up makes it go out.

I am not sure what there is to FIX.... the indicator may have saved your engine from destruction several time over.

I see the REAL issue is that your vehicle is consuming oil.... even here., I would suggest you simply carry a quart in your car and top up as-needed. No need for anything to be "fixed"
It's not WAD, but it's actually working as it "should".

As designed, it's supposed to trigger at 1 qt low, not 0.5 qt low. As it "should" work, it does give you an indication the oil level is starting to get low vs it actually being low.

The OP sounds like he's going through 1 qt in about 3000 miles on the low side, and 6000 miles on the high side. That's either a lot of oil consumption or not too bad.

In my case, it's about 0.5 qts between oil change intervals. I kind of liked having that light trigger at 0.5 as a reminder to check the oil and start getting ready for another oil change. Adding 0.5 qt always worked to turn off the light. Getting that sensor recalibrated this morning means I shouldn't see that light unless something is wrong.

For the OP, leaving it as it is might be a good thing if you are going through 1 qt in 3000 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2013 2.5 does the same thing after being driven approximately same distance (3-3.5k miles) after oil change. It's been doing that since new and I just add half a quart and then change oil at 6k. It appears that new firmware for oil sensor was the first thing Subaru did when people started complaining about oil consumption. The dealership offered to reprogram mine, but I declined just to play it safe(r).

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT AWP
66 Posts
Are you sure its the oil level light? Could it be the oil life light?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,656 Posts
Could be the sensor. I’ve had issues with my oil light. I’ve had it go on after I have changed my oil...after a short drive it goes out..live also had it go on in extremely cold winter weather...but it eventually goes out. I figure bad sensor so I live with it.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT AWP
66 Posts
If the oil level light comes on in your Subaru after an oil change, follow the procedure shown in this video. You will like it.

How to turn off low oil light after an oil change.
Sometimes, after performing an oil change, the "Low Oil" light will stay on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts