Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first oil change at 6000 and change. Subaru did it as I had one free oil change. I did it myself just now and I was 2000 over (life got in the way). But I realized that no oil light/maintenance light came on at all. Nothing to reset either. Does this car have one? If it wasn't for me remembering what mileage to do it at, I would have continued driving and driving.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT, Magnetite Gray
18 Posts
There is a maintenance reminder in the infotainment system. I think if you hit the icon of the car from the main screen you will see it listed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a menu under your vehicle settings where you can program/ add service intervals. But you have to put them in yourself, car won't do it automatically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a menu under your vehicle settings where you can program/ add service intervals. But you have to put them in yourself, car won't do it automatically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I checked and found it. Thanks. That is strange. I never had a car that didn't have some sort of automatic oil/maintenance light. To me that would be more important to auto program in and spend less time on a dummy light to tell me that roads may be icy at 37 degrees. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a maintenance reminder in the infotainment system. I think if you hit the icon of the car from the main screen you will see it listed.
I did. I had to manually do it. Everything there was blank. Tires, oil and oil filter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car had all these items listed and counting miles when I bought it. Maybe the dealership set that all up at delivery?
From what I can see, most likely that is what your dealer did. This is definitely requires someone to enter in the date and/or mileage. There is one button called update that will automatically set it to 6000 miles for the oil. But someone has to press it. If you don't enable it, it just stays empty with the dashes. Opposite of what i'm used to wherein you have to reset the maintenance light.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5i
93 Posts
From what I can see, most likely that is what your dealer did. This is definitely requires someone to enter in the date and/or mileage. There is one button called update that will automatically set it to 6000 miles for the oil. But someone has to press it. If you don't enable it, it just stays empty with the dashes. Opposite of what i'm used to wherein you have to reset the maintenance light.
GM and Honda both have a predicted oil life screen that is such a great resource as most engine oil doesn't need to be changed at 6,000 miles. My 2016 Civic would get over 10k miles before reaching 20% oil life and then I would change it. Such a great feature.

A GM engineer I met said that it was based on data already collected (intake air temp, throttle position, oil temp, coolant temp, etc.). They simply used that data to calculate oil life. Here's an article on it:

Why hasn't Subaru done this?

·
Premium Member
2020 Premium Tungsten metallic w/ option pkg 15 and tow hitch, foot illumination lights, skid plates
70 Posts
My dealer sends emails when the oil change is due... must be automated. Carfax sends emails too. Everyone except me knows all about my car, lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dealer sends emails when the oil change is due... must be automated. Carfax sends emails too. Everyone except me knows all about my car, lol.
Including the 5 year old boy down the street who just came over to tell you that your oil needs changing soon. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
290 Posts
I did. I had to manually do it. Everything there was blank. Tires, oil and oil filter.
Mine goes blank after i tried to program it 4 times. Its on my list of issues for my dealer next time i am in.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine goes blank after i tried to program it 4 times. Its on my list of issues for my dealer next time i am in.
4 times in the same sitting? Or after you changed the oil 4 times?

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
290 Posts
Oil changed 2x but have filled in the data 4 times. Then turn the car off and its blank. So it back to just keeping papers in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts