Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I took a 2 hour road trip for Christmas. Befor I got on the interstate I checked my oil the stick was dry so I put a court in. Waited like five min checked my oil and it was right below full. I started to smell burning oil about 1 1/2 hours In to my trip. And I ignored it when I got home today I crawled under it to take a look and noticed oil all over the passenger side on the transmission pan. And the oil level is still at the same place right at about full.

So my question is, is there a fail safe to let extra oil out, or did I screw myself and break somthing. It's a 2001 outback 2.5l

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
How many miles. There is a launbdry list of what this can be.

When was the last time the timing belt and seals were changed.

This sounds like to me a leaking main seal, but can be
Oil pump seal
cam seal
valve cover seal
Bad PCV valve

All of the above.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,105 Posts
could it be grease from the inner axle boot?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
It wouldnt look green. It ould look like filthy grease flung in a pattern and a ripped noot would be obvious

He is using/loosing engine oil somehow, and we need to find out why too, unless it is just poor maint. Dont ever let a subaru get that low on oil.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
Maybe check the front differential oil level. I too did a road trip for Christmas. Before leaving I had an oil change and they topped off my diff levels...waaayyy to high. It started coming out the dipstick and dripped down and splattered exactly where you're describing.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,105 Posts
well, the axle grease is a longshot compared to the other excellent suggestions, just throwing it out as a possibility because, it seemed from the op, that the oil level was constant after the first top-off.

PCV valve problems could be inconsistent I suppose.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Could also be a leaking oil filter from being too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Could be the power steering pump or line?

Or maybe your oil filter is to big in diameter, and it's resting on the ring.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
You filled the motor oil with a quart. It was still full after the drive.

Quart low over how many miles since it was changed?

What is the furthest point forward of the transmission you see the oil?

Leaking fluid and the crankcase is still full is something other than the motor oil. PS fluid still full? Transmission?

Passenger side has the PS pump that will leak, puddle on the engine and flow back. The PS lines run along the passenger side and may leak at the joints. Rack may be leaking at the end seals and coming out of the boots.

Transmission pan could be leaking.

As posted prior, it could be the front differential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts