Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2005 2.5i 5MT OBW
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the timing belt/water pump <20k ago but not cam/oil seals. Noticed some oil on drivers side of cover. I'm guessing oil pump or crank seals? Is it possible to keep an eye on but not have to immediately replace?

· Registered
2006 OBW MT 2.5 168k
67 Posts
Yes, it's probably oil pump or crank/cam shaft seals. The longer you wait the more oil will get on the belt which will degrade it (not right away...it takes time but damage is cumulative).

· Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,922 Posts
You can pull off the side TB cover and inspect for oil contamination on the belt while someone else cranks the engine over - just temporarily pull off the plug wires so it doesn’t fire.

If you see any oil on the belt - timing belts are not that expensive, and you might want to consider putting on a new belt. If you took care of the tensioner and idler 20k ago when you did the scheduled service, then don’t bother with those - they wouldn’t be affected.

· Registered
2005 2.5i 5MT OBW
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can pull off the side TB cover and inspect for oil contamination on the belt while someone else cranks the engine over - just temporarily pull off the plug wires so it doesn’t fire.

If you see any oil on the belt - timing belts are not that expensive, and you might want to consider putting on a new belt. If you took care of the tensioner and idler 20k ago when you did the scheduled service, then don’t bother with those - they wouldn’t be affected.
Good info. I haven't checked the service manual yet, but assume if I'm going through the trouble of pulling the belt to do these o rings I might as well err on the side of caution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts