Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2000 O/B 2.5 has a pretty good oil leak. Looks like it may be the pan gasket, which I will confirm later today with dye/ UV light. How does that pan come down? I can't see a way to get to the rear pan bolts? Any tips for replacing that gasket appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
My son's 2000 O/B 2.5 has a pretty good oil leak. Looks like it may be the pan gasket, which I will confirm later today with dye/ UV light. How does that pan come down? I can't see a way to get to the rear pan bolts? Any tips for replacing that gasket appreciated.
search here for oil leak threads, many common sources for leaks other than the pan. separator plate is notorious for instance.

if it is the pan, it may be attached with just a sealant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 Lucky Texan;469066. separator plate is notorious for instance. if it is the pan said:
I thought the seperator plate problem was solved on the Gen 2 engines. Anyway, is there someone here who has actually done the job and removed the pan and replaced the gasket?

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
yeah, you're right, by '00 they were all metal plates I think and are less likely to leak.

just encouraging you to be sure - any leak at the front (cam seals, front main, etc.) can drip down, blow back and might appear to be from the pan.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Anyway, is there someone here who has actually done the job and removed the pan and replaced the gasket?
Oil pan leaks are rare on our cars, so there are probably only a very few people who have done it DIY ... and they may not be reading this forum right now. If you do it, a write-up and photos in the DIY section of the forum could prove useful to others.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
yeah, from what I've read, removing the engine is helpful. At least, there's probably a necessity to lift the rear of the engine to get to a coupla fasteners.

maybe dig around at scoobymods, ultimatesubaru and maybe nasioc .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After cleaning it up and adding some dye, we found the leak(s) It was not the pan, Both head gaskets are leaking oil. One, front right corner, and left rear. As it is not due for timing belt etc for another 30,000 I think we'll try some ATP stop leak. I really don't want to pull the engine and do head gaskets right now, and he needs the car for commuting to college 4 days a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
wunderbra
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing