Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down an oil leak on my 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback to the oil pan.
I was just wondering how many bolts where holding the oil pan on, and if there are any tricks to getting it off?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
I only have a current manual for the '12 2.5, but it shows 8 bolts holding the oil pan on. It may be worth checking to see if any are loose or missing, before you take it off. The current manual shows the use of "3 Bond 1217G" used in place of any gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know it has more than 8, because I've taken 12 out so far. But it feels like something is still holding, so I wasn't sure if I just need to knock it loose or what. You can't really see the back of the pan due to stuff being in the way, I had to use a swivel socket to get the two out on the back I could see.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Are you certain you are not trying to remove the "Lower crankcase" rather than the pan? The pan is sheet metal, and smaller in size. The lower crankcase is what the pan is attached to, and should be cast aluminum.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,107 Posts
I don't think it's unusual for newer cars to have a sealant instead of a gasket so, probably need some gentle persuasion to remove it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, but when I called O'Reilys they had a Felpro replacement gasket for it. I ordered it and it should come in today.

·
Registered
2000 OBW 2.5 4EAT AWP
25 Posts
Your pan has 14 bolts (check diagram at opposedforces.com). I had to raise my engine a couple of inches to get at the 4 at the back because of the cross member. Once all the bolts are out, you want to carefully separate the pan from the block. You don’t want to gouge the surfaces mating the block to the pan. I used Permatex Ultra Grey to install a new pan. It is an equivalent to what Subaru used to install the pan (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...quid-gasket-pcv-installation-2005-2-5-na.html).

·
Registered
2000 OBW 2.5 4EAT AWP
25 Posts
I used an engine support bar from Harbor Freight to lift the engine a couple of inches (item#96524 $75 but they always have a 20% off coupon if you look around their site or papers ads). The bolts will allow you to hand crank the engine up. I think it would be very difficult to do the pan removal without having the space to maneuver then pan around a bit because of the oil pickup inside. I can send you the factory manual instruction pages from a 2002 Outback for removing the pan. It may not be a perfect match for a 98, but it will at least give you an overview of the steps involved. It doesn’t appear to be possible to add an attachment to a PM, so PM me your e-mail if you are interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you were able to lift it without removing any of the motor mounts or anything? Do you think it would work to just lift it with a floor jack.

My email is 85ford at gmail.com
I appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts