Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one screw on my oil pan that has oil around it. looks to be leaking. is there a fix, is it the gasket for the pan? or maybe just the screw? What would cause this, and how should I go about fixing it?

heres a pic

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
You could try removing the bolt and putting some Permatex Ultra Grey sealant on it to see if it stops. Otherwise only other option is to reseal the oil pan, which uses Fuji-bond as the factory seal, and Permatex Ultra Grey is fine as well.

There are pre-made cork gaskets available but they do not seal as well as a sealant does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i remove and seal it next time i drain and change my oil, figured taking that bolt out might induce some extra leaking?

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
If the leak is only minor, I would wait till the next oil change and do everything at once. You could still do it with the pan full of oil as the other bolts are still holding it and seal is pretty well bonded to the block.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
I recently changed the pan on my H6- on that, the pan is just the bottom of the oil 'tank', there is a large aluminum piece that forms most of the pan.

On that, the pan seal is under about 6 inches of oil, and if you pulled a screw with oil in the pan you might get quite a jet of oil if the pan seal to the inboard side wasn't good.

If the ultra-gray can seal that, it'll be indestructible on an H4 pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts