Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999, Legacy Outback, '95 EJ22E, 5 speed; Money pit 02 WRX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have spent the last hour trying to change my oil to no avail the oil plug on the bottom is stuck!

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting it off?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
In the tool section of the parts store, OReilly's carries it, there is a kit for removing rounded bolts. It lets you use a ratchet. It will allow you to get a grip on the bolt head easier than using vise grip pliers.

Irwin 394002 BOLT-GRIP 5-Piece Bolt Extractor Expansion Set

Aside from that, a mapp torch to heat up the bolt, then try to remove it while its hot.

Someone overtightened the bolt or its in crossthreaded. Be sure to have a replacement plug handy and check the threads on the pan bung.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Is it rust seized, rounded off, or cross threaded?

If rust:
PB Blaster.
A few decent taps with a hammer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bolt looks to be fine I had the oil changed 3 months ago at jiffy lube for convenience (I drive a lot) the head is fine ratchet has no problems grabbing the bolt and there is very little rust on it. is it possible that jiffy lube simply over torqued it?

Would spraying something like wd40 on it help?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,114 Posts
First, if this is your only transportation, leave it alone until you're sure you could borrow or rent a car for a coupla days in case you can't get the bolt back in.

Be aware that there are 3-4 ways to repair the drain plug opening if it is stripped after removing the plug - but you may be delayed a day or more in finding just the right solution.

do you have a 1/2" drive breaker bar? If that won't do it, you may need a 'cheater pipe' or heat as suggested or an impact wrench.

oh and, I'm ashamed to suggest this but, make sure you are attempting to turn it counter-clockwise. (lefty-loosey)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions and yea I was turning it counterclockwise lol

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
The bolt looks to be fine I had the oil changed 3 months ago at jiffy lube for convenience (I drive a lot) the head is fine ratchet has no problems grabbing the bolt and there is very little rust on it. is it possible that jiffy lube simply over torqued it?

Would spraying something like wd40 on it help?
If that is who did the oil change last, tale your vehicle in as if nothing has happened. When they say they can't remove it, pull the receipt from the globe box. Watch them though, to make sure they drain it. I never trusted cheap labor ... Or even the expensive one, for that matter, but 17 year olds messing with my car ... How much training they received, i wonder sometimes...
Get them to pay your dealership to fix it, maybe

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I considered posting this as a new thread, but it fits perfectly here. Jiffy Lube torqued the drain plug with an impact gun. Ignore the fact that someone has beat on the oil pan with a hammer - the "stuff" around the hex plug is the crush washer which has squished out due to the SEVERE over torque.

Discussion: .... What the **** Jiffy Lube? : Justrolledintotheshop

Take a 16 inch or longer 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and a SIX point socket (a 12 point can round off the bolt). Hold the socket in place square and snug, take up the slack slowly, and give the breaker bar a really quick CCW pull. Not a smooth pull - snap it. The bolt will pop free, I guarantee you. You are simulating an impact gun, sort of.

If I am wrong, take the car back to the shop and let them deal with it. Then never return there.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Yeah, as long as you are sure you are turning it the correct direction, use a 6 point socket that fits it exactly. Then you just need a long enough handle on your ratchet. It takes quite a bit of strength with my short ratchet to loosen it after the proper torque is on there.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
Take it back ... They can afford to pay for replacing your pan. Hopefully you still have the receipt ...
Would it ba possible they over torqued it because it was leaking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This seems to be an old issue I'm kicking around but it's still relevant today. My 2018 Outback's oil drain plug was "frozen" on and I could not break it using 100 ft/lbs of torque. Took it to the dealer for #1 oil change and they remarked about the damaged bolt. I told them what happened. New bolt installed. Now that I am at oil change #2 ... same thing! These guys at the dealer must have used an air wrench to seat the new plug and I can't get this one off either. OEM specs calls for only 14 ft/lbs of torque, just enough to mash a new crush ring. I don't trust dealers and their basic oil change prices are outrageous. Jiffy Lube and others are even lower on my list of trustworthy establishments. Once I break this thing loose I am installing an EZ Oil Drain Valve and to heck with the dealer from now on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts