Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been changing my own oil for over 50 years now on all kinds of cars including other Subies and always within 10 to 20 seconds at most the oil pressure builds up to normal after the drain and refill. However with my 2010 Outback 4 cylinder with CVT trans it takes MINUTES for the low/no oil pressure light to go out. I can hear the tappets quiet down quickly after starting so I'm pretty sure I've actually got pressure. I gently rev to 2000 RPM or so - dosen't change anything. Only when I drive a 1/2 block or so will the light go out. I'm thinking maybe the pressure sensor is controlled by the ECU and is slow to reset and driving a bit completes the reset ?

Anyone else having same experience - any ideas why so slow to reset light ?

Thanks for any input, Cheap Trick

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Been changing oil in all our cars for many years now. I've never seen the oil pressure light come on beyond the dash light check when you turn the key to the on position.

What type of oil filter are you using? And how much oil are you putting in the car? What type of oil?

Both my 2010 models I run 10-30 usually Mobil 1 synthetic in the summers and Chevron regular blend in the winter. We have mild winters and super hot summers.

Same deal for the Toyota trucks I've had. The only picky car I own is the 1.8T which you need to be careful with the oil and keep an eye on its consumption. But never seen the light come on after an oil change.

·
Registered
18,721 Posts
Are you sure it's the "oil pressure light" and not the "oil level light"?

See the Owners Manual, around page 3-14 and 3-15 for an explanation of the lights. See especially around page 3-15 for this note:

"The engine low oil level warning
light will not turn off immediately even
if you replace or add engine oil. It will
turn off only when the vehicle is idling
and the engine is warmed up completely."

[edit] The "low oil level" light staying on has been discussed here in a number of posts. Perhaps this one -- http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...769-low-oil-level-light-after-oil-change.html -- will be of help. For more, use the Google search box at the top, and look for posts with "low oil level light".

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,696 Posts
Low oil pressure goes off in mine by the count of 3. Shorter, when I prefill the oil filter, which is my normal routine.

If it is not your oil level light, something is not right with your car. If it is the low level light, try to avoid turning the key on while the oil level is low. I understand that it can take some time to reset in use, though I haven't seen it on beyond the key on test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your quick response. Yes it is the oil level light that is slow to go off. Guess I flat out forgot that there were two lights - pressure/level. Got to pay better attention to the manuals in these new fangled cars. As mentioned in one response in the thread mentioned by plain OM, this light being slow to reset is minor compared to the things I have with my 94 BMW. The gas gauge can come and go etc etc. All pretty easy to reset once you learn the tricks and what to expect. Guess thats why I like the older cars - you can see a broken spring or ring or whatever but those little electrons flying around are tricky little devils !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts