Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11' Outback 2.5i CVT Limited
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Business as usual. Changed oil with 4 and some Qts of oil. No leaks anywhere, oil level indicator where it's suppose to be. Engine works just fine but it shows oil pressure light. WTF? Anyone had that issue before

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,383 Posts
How long has the light been on?

It's not uncommon for it to be on for a few seconds after a oil change.

And you did drain the oil, not the diff or CVT, correct?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,777 Posts
edit; WAIT! - I seem to recall this is a common issue with new gen soobs. There's a 'trick' to get that light to go off or you will have to drive it for a while.

Try searching for threads about it - sorry i don't recall the details. (I thought it was an oil LEVEL light?)

you might want to disregard the follwing, but I'll leave it in cas eit helps someone else in the future.

the only time I ever had this happen (on a Mitsubishi long ago) I had to change the oil pressure sending unit because the original was leaking. Then, the light would never go off with the parts store replacement. I was told by a mechanic that some aftermarket senders have too small openings and get some debris in it?

Bought another part from a dealer. Indeed, it's opening was a lot larger - fixed the problem.

I can't discount the possibility it was just a bad replacement and a weird coincidence.

·
Registered
11' Outback 2.5i CVT Limited
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the car for a spin and after 5 min the light was gone.....weird stuff. Haven't change anything in my oil change regiment, the oil level is fine....the only other thing other than electric.....faulty filter ????

·
Registered
1 Posts
After changing oil and filter in my 2011 Outback the oil light came on and stayed on. First I checked the filter to make sure it was the correct one. Next I found this blog, thank goodness. After driving it out to dinner with my wife, on the way home it went off. Total trip was about 20 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Solution

This happened to me as well with my first change on an '11 Legacy. I took it for a 10 min drive. Turned engine off and back on - light was still on. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Lucas oil additive I added? I then tried pulling the fuses as someone mentioned to reset the cct. I couldn't find one specifically for the oil light so I pulled and reinserted all 4 Engine Ctl Unit fuses and one called Illumination. Turned on the car and voila, the oil light went off!
Hope this helps, Mike, Nova Scotia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts