Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited, 3.6L
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to find out why low level oil light remains lit after oil change on a 2011 Outback with H-6 engine.
Yes, I searched and the one I found didn't match mine.
TIA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I was reading that thread but it didn't seem to correlate to mine. My oil pressure light(?) won't turn off. It usually comes on when It's about 1/2 to 3/4 quart low. That's what happened a few days ago, so I checked to make sure it wasn't below the low mark and continued to drive for a few days since I had an oil change due shortly. Now after the oil change the light stays on.
I tried the fuse plug/take away deal and that didn't help. Next step was to check the sending unit per your advise in the other thread. Phew, lot of words for so little.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
That might not be the oil pressure switch. Could it be the Low Oil warning light. Does the H6 have one? Check your Owners Manual.

Other thread?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That might not be the oil pressure switch. Could it be the Low Oil warning light. Does the H6 have one? Check your Owners Manual.

Other thread?
You're right, it is the low level warning light. The other thread was several years back. And I thought it was you that gave instructions on how to check the "pressure" gauge. I call it a sending unit.
Anyway, can you give me some suggestions? Except for the light staying on, all else seems normal.
Manual says contact dealer, but all else seems normal. Plus dealer charges $120 bucks just to put it on their computer.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had an oil change? DIY or someone else did it? Have you checked the level to be sure it's full?

I seem to recall reports here that sometimes the low oil warning light doesn't go out immediately after an oil change or top up, so how long since the change?

The thread you're referring to might be http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49468-variable-valve-lift-oil-pressure-switch-resistance.html, but that is about a "pressure switch", not an oil level switch.
I (DIY) changed it on 2-13-18 and have driven 136 miles since the service.
It's up to the base of the F while parked on the incline of the carport, hence I feel it is full enough. I will move to a level surface tomorrow and re-check.
Thnx.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Note to Plain OM

I (DIY) changed it on 2-13-18 and have driven 136 miles since the service.
It's up to the base of the F while parked on the incline of the carport, hence I feel it is full enough. I will move to a level surface tomorrow and re-check.
Thnx.
As I suspected the oil level was ok. Moved to level surface and after 4 hrs. checked, and added 10oz to bring level to the center of the full (o). Let it idle for several minutes, then drove about 10 miles.
Light still remains on when switch is on, engine on or off. Have any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
Nothing specific, but perhaps search the forum for posts/threads dealing with the low oil warning light remaining on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts