Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put a timing belt on the 97' 2.5. I have most eveything I need, including new cam seals, tensioner, water pump. I have one large (1"-1 1/2", something like that) O-ring for the oil pump too. From research it looks like there are two O-rings that seal the oil pump. Is this true? Also what seals the oil pump to the block? Is there some kind of paper gasket or is it a liquid gasket?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The pump housing gets "liquid packing" (permatex grey works here). There is also a small rubber o-ring with kind of a flanged edge on it that goes between the pump and the block at the pickup tube. Then there is the large seal that goes in the front of the pump to seal around the crank pulley.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I have the big one. Does the little one have a name that you are aware of? The grey sounds kind of like hondabond. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't forget to put some threadlock on the screws that hold the back plate of the pump together, they tend to loosen up over time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Josh222
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing