Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tell me, what is the better way to do this, motor pull, or tranny pull? I "think" that the motor will pull out faster than the tranny, but I don't have a lift. I have not really gotten under the car to look very close, but I figure you guys would know.

I figure if I pop the motor out, it will be easier to work on these and I can maybe do the head gaskets while it is out, but the car shows no signs of problem head gaskets, and may show signs that they were replaced. (I saw signs of it over heating at one point, and clear signs that the motor had been pulled.) Although.... was it a motor swap, or head gaskets?

Also, anyone know the diameter of the transmission hose to the radiator? (rubber hose) Is it a 3/8" hose? I have to fix one that is weeping...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the trans id harder to pull because you are working on your back on the ground. harbor freight has a $50 trans lift that haelps a lot if you go that way.

the engine is easier to pull but you do need a lift. you can rent one for a week or maybe buy one used. they retail for about $150 at harbor freight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pulled the motor on mine to fix the separator plate leak. I found a good step by step guide online and had it out in a little over 2 hrs. Used a come-along hanging from a rafter on my carport as a lift.

I'm thinking dropping the tranny might be a little easier, but I just didn't feel like groveling in the dirt to remove it. Removing the motor also allowed me to clean both it and the engine compartment, which is important to me as I do all my own work and like to keep thing as clean as practical (it's just a lot nicer to work on stuff that's clean).

Keep in mind I have a 2.2 5 spd car ... I'm assuming you have the 2.5, which might be a different story ...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Way easier to pull the engine. To drop the trans, you have to remove the axles. That requires a front end teardown. It also requires driveshaft removal which requires removal of the exhaust. Only drop the trans if you need to to work on the trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... that is what I figured. On my old Jeep I pulled the engine to do the clutch for many the same reasons... I could have the engine hanging in the air is one hour! Very simple motor on that one though.... Although, the Subaru does not look all that hard to yank out.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
So tell me, what is the better way to do this, motor pull, or tranny pull? I "think" that the motor will pull out faster than the tranny, but I don't have a lift.
There is no "better", every situation, person, tool supply has different fits. I'll start by saying pull the engine though, that is be far the preferred method.

That being said, Subaru transmissions ***can*** be on the ground faster than you can pull the engine. Exhaust, driveshaft, shifter, axle pins and it's about coming out. Not many bolts or clamps to it at all, much shorter list.

Engine gotta do exhaust, intake, A/C, Power Steering, radiator hoses, heater core hoses, vacuum lines, cruise and throttle cables...etc. more bolts, clamps, fluids.

In the end it's totally annoying and no one likes working and wrestling under the car with dirt falling in your eyes.

And - pulling the trans gives you access to nothing else. Pulling the engine is far more advantageous for spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, head gasket, oil cooler gasket, etc.

But - if you were after pure speed - the trans *can* come out quicker.

·
Registered
129 Posts
think it depends on the tools and facility you have at your disposal. if you have a lift, I would think removal of the tranny would be faster. If i had to do it on jackstands, I would pull the engine. I've done enough benching trannys on my back. its not fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
NWSub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing