Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
He took it to the dealer to evaluate for damage. If they find none, it is not a flub. The oil change shop dodges a bullet but should provide peace of mind and show good will towards the customer for worry, aggrevation, and time. If there is damage found, the oil shop will be paying for a new engine that will then bring the customer back whole and back under powertrain warranty as if it was new.

It is really not too difficult yo understand. I never expected Subie to warrant the damage from a flub but if there is no damage it is solely on the shop how they want to provide customer relations as there is technically no issue.__
In a perfect world, this makes sense. Alas, it's not perfect. No Subaru dealer is going to tear deep enough into the engine to be 100% sure that there is no damage. This incident will go on the service record, so if there's some premature wear that requires an expensive repair at 70k miles, my money's on SOA saying it's not a manufacturer's defect (and rightfully so).

The warranty would be a nice gesture, no doubt. It just won't protect him from anything to do with this incident.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Well, at 70k miles, his warranty is long gone anyway? If the dealer say there is no damage, Subie is on the hook for the warranty. That is a done deal at that point. It is on the dealer to determine if there was damage done. They should go in as deep as need be since the oil shop's insurance will be paying for the labor.

The dealer should have their customer and product as top priority and BE CERTAIN as to whether damage has been done or not.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
Maybe my confusion lies here. It doesn't say anywhere that they are having Subaru techs look at it all, much less take apart the engine.

Kal tire got me a towed back to their facility which wasn’t far away. They claimed they had checked and tighten the plug and were puzzled how it would have come loose. Anyhow, the car is in the shop awaiting a Subaru plug and they going to check out my engine for damage or ???. They said they will take care of everything.
Kal Tire told me they will take care of everthing...they got me a rental dodge minivan, and said they're pay for the gas and towing..etc...don't worry they said and was very appologetic that this happened. I didn't throw a fuss or anything.
Even if it was, I doubt they'd pay to have the engine disassembled enough to verify any damage. It would just be cheaper for them to promise to pay for any subsequent repairs that might be needed as a result of this incident.

Again, the warranty would be a nice gesture, but wouldn't provide any protection for anything resulting from this. Personally, I wouldn't be that worried about it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
It is on the dealer to determine if there was damage done. They should go in as deep as need be since the oil shop's insurance will be paying for the labor.
If it were me I would much rather keep my engine intact and just tested. I wouldn't be very comfortable knowing they went " in as deep as need be " declared it fine and put it back together. This sounds like it is asking for trouble where there is none.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Keep us updated on the outcome I'd love to know how KalTire settles this.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes, will keep you guys updated. Wonder if I'll get the call today about my car.
My mileage is 72,000 km (45,000 miles).

And no, the car wasn't stalling when this happened...it was still driving smoothly...but I instintively stopped the car the moment the lights came on.

·
Registered
14 ob limited
329 Posts
Yes, will keep you guys updated. Wonder if I'll get the call today about my car.
My mileage is 72,000 km (45,000 miles).

And no, the car wasn't stalling when this happened...it was still driving smoothly...but I instintively stopped the car the moment the lights came on.
Does this mean you turned it off or stopped it from moving, then turned it off?

Did you go back and look for signs of an oil trail, if so how far back was it?

Did you look for the drain plug?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Did you go back and look for signs of an oil trail, if so how far back was it?
Did you look for the drain plug?
I posed that question (sorta’). Some sleuthing might help with the forum gearheads.
That pan with the plug out is drained at full bore in ~2 mins. How much oil TBD is on that ground?

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
Perhaps the best testing would be for metal in the oil and filter after it was started and run again. Why tear into the engine unless bearing material was found or unusual noises were heard at start up? It does not take long for damage to happen to bearings when oil pressure is lost. Hope everything turns out ok.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
UOA has been suggested, and probably the most prudent (and cheapest) at this point.<O:p</O:p
What’s looming/unknown is Kal’s (first) response. Scary version… fill it up > fire it up > sounds good = no problem > return to customer.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Here's what I'd do: wait to see what Kal's says. What ever they say, make them buy the car from you for fair market value before the incident. Then get another one, new, used or Toyota, whatever. THEN, go to carfax, and make a log entry honestly describing the event. The entry becomes permanent, and alerts future owners of the problem, everyone's protected, and Kal's only has to eat the difference in value that the incident actually creates (difference between what they pay you for the car, and what they ultimately sell it for to an educated buyer (hence the carfax)).

Of course, have fun getting them to agree to that. If they hesitate, then that's a bargaining point in your favor; ie, you can argue that they're not being honest if they wouldn't accept the car with whatever explanation they come up with: if the shoe's on the other foot, the truth comes out. Maybe.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
906 Posts
Oil analysis absolutely needed. I would also keep the filter installed at time of incident and the first one afterwards and have them inspected for debris as well.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Well, here’s not so great story which I have to share with my fellow outback owners.ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Kal tire got me a towed back to their facility which wasn’t far away. They claimed they had checked and tighten the plug and were puzzled how it would have come loose.

...of course they did! What a great way to try and resolve themselves of any legal action that could have possibly occured from this.

I hope your engine is okay. Sounds as though you pulled over when the oil got to the level where the warning light goes on when the oil gets low. But like some else said...get them to check the pan for bits of metal!!

Keep us posted as to how things turn out.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Be sure to have the engine steam cleaned too. I had a timing belt changed on a '91 Galanct VR4 I had in college. They didn't tighten the oil filter and I ended up with oil all over my engine. Luckily for me I only lost ~1/2 quart before I noticed as it was a loose filter. I tightened it up and topped it off without thinking. Less than a week later I was on the side of the road watching my car burn... My insurance totaled and paid the bill so I didn't go after the shop and I wasn't able to put enough miles on the car to see if any real damage was done.

I hope everything works out for you. I'm leaning towards you caught it soon enough that there was enough oil to create pressure, hence why you didn't see the light. And probably didn't cause any damag. But I would still want some sort of warranty.

I think the best option would be DieselOx's... let them buy it and get another one. But that's probably not gonna happen.

IMO if you take it to a dealer and have them OK everything, there is no reason a warranty shouldn't cover future problems. It would be no different than wrecking the car, they fix it, and down the road a ball joint goes out and they say they won't repair it because it was from prior damage. Once they sign off on they car being ok, they shouldn't be able to nullify future work.

Good Luck with everything, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
IMO if you take it to a dealer and have them OK everything, there is no reason a warranty shouldn't cover future problems.
Problem being that no dealer or manufacturer is going to "OK" it, nor should they. No reason for them to assume liability for a lurking mechanical issue not caused by a defect.

Any written statement they make as to damage will be full of the normal caveats, basically making it worthless as a guarantee.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
I too like the idea of an used oil analysis. If there are any scored bearings or the like, it will be very clear with an UOA.

NOTE: Be sure that you don't sign any liability waivers when you pick up the car. They might try to get out of liability by tricking you into signing a waiver.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Why would Subaru warranty it. It’s been 'damaged' outside of manufacturing defect/workmanship, and will be on record as such. It’s a warranty out win-win for them, especially when it’s been declared Kal’s who done it.
The game begins/ends with Kal.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Any written statement they make as to damage will be full of the normal caveats, basically making it worthless as a guarantee.
...What?:gasp: Are you saying that they will try to wiggle out of rectifying the situation...kinda like the same stuff some (of us) subie owners had to go through when first dealing with the shakes in the early builds?...no...can't be!

Okay...enough sarcasm. Notice that the root word of the word rectify is very close to rectal...need I say more. lol.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If it were me I would much rather keep my engine intact and just tested. I wouldn't be very comfortable knowing they went " in as deep as need be " declared it fine and put it back together. This sounds like it is asking for trouble where there is none.

I guess they could use their Xray vision goggles to make sure it looks OK on the inside?? What test do you feel is going to show damage when he stopped and oil was still coming out??? The thing did not overheat. There should be no damage. You have to check the cylinder walls for scoring and scorching. I guess they could scope it, but I would rather them pull the head. Do you think they use some magical sealant at the factory. C'mon guys, it is an engine, not brain surgery.

A basic compression or leak down test MAY show something if you had ring damage but I doubt it since there was still some oil in there. The OP would have been much better off to keep on trucking and wait for a full seizure of the engine. New engine installed paid for by oil shop insurance.....done deal. I would have made sure there WAS NO DOUBT.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Why would Subaru warranty it. It’s been 'damaged' outside of manufacturing defect/workmanship, and will be on record as such. It’s a warranty out win-win for them, especially when it’s been declared Kal’s who done it.
The game begins/ends with Kal.

How do you know it's been damaged?? No one here has ever run an engine low on oil??

The OP should absolutely be taking his car to the dealership. They can document what happened. They can inspect the car. They can have a rep come in and inspect the car. If there is no damage, the warranty is intact. This does not make a problem for the future if there IS NO DAMAGE NOW.

He is already at 45k, the factory warranty is almost up anyway. If you can't show damage, you can't prove negligence. There has to be monetary loss for anything to happen.

The shop should pay for a thorough dealer tech inspection. That is the ONLY thing that needs done.

An oil analysis??? Why would you base the health of an engine that may be damaged by running it and then counting on the oil?? Lets say it is normal? Then what??

Crack it open top and bottom and look in there. Visual is going to be the only way to know for sure. Oil analysis can vary GREATLY depending on driving conditions. Sure, they can tell you if your engine is wearing normally (after 5k miles of driving), but since the OP probably has no baseline, the oil shop can say the thing was previously abused should it come back with issues. You need to check the guts for signs of friction damage. PERIOD. Short of that is failure.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts