Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Does this mean you turned it off or stopped it from moving, then turned it off?

Did you go back and look for signs of an oil trail, if so how far back was it?

Did you look for the drain plug?

Ok, got my car back....before I go on...will back answer some questions...

Yes, I shut the car down when I pulled over. Engine off.
I went back today but couldn't tell if the oil trail was mine...possibly ... the trail was a long way....of some black stuff...but the trail stopped at an intersection...so not sure if it was mine. Looked for the drain plug...nada unfortunately. The oil patch has been cleaned...pretty well...almost couldn't find it.

Anyways...here's my final story...they didn't call me but I decided to pop in to see what's up....they wanted to keep the car for another day to further test.....so talking to the manager, they checked the engine codes and everything came clean. They drained the oil after putting in new one to check for any shavings or what ever. they test drove it as well and see there was any difference...after doing the other checking first. they didn't take the engine apart as they claim they didn't need do as the other checks passed. All in all they couldn't find any problem with the engine and said. I could take the car back if I like and drive it and see if any problems would occur and contact them back. I made them write something of the event that occured. They're seem to be acting on good faith and very appologectic and said to bring it in if anything feels off from my driving now. I told them about steam cleaning and they did that. See pic...bottoms looks super clean now.

So, I drove off knowing that's the best they could do. So driving the car around and on the freeway...it's seems fine. Feels the same as before for now. Can't tell any difference. So, short of taking it to the dealer and getting it analyse from some suggestions and getting the engine taken apart....I might be inclined to do that as the car feels fine. Just afraid they don't put it back to gether exactly and make it worst. Had that experience before....head gasket failed on my previous subie.

Anyhow, I thank all of you for many great suggestions which I used for ammo to talk to the manager. They know my company is affiliated to them and it's their best interest to fix the problem down the road if any. Let's see how it goes for week of driving.

Kaltire also they took care of my rental and car insurance.

Also, after driving the 2012 (30,000 km) rental dodge caravan ...the subie feels so much tighter and sure footed and steering much more precise then the dodge which felt more vague. Feels so good to be back in my Outback. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2003 Baja,
32 Posts
Does this mean you turned it off or stopped it from moving, then turned it off?

Did you go back and look for signs of an oil trail, if so how far back was it?

Did you look for the drain plug?
Are you doing a CSI report?? Just get a letter from the tire store detailing what happened and what they will cover. Do this before taking car back. If they balk then use the company as leverage. Be realistic on what to ask for.
As others have posted most likely no damage. Ask around work to see if others have had problems or just your lucky day. So much drama in threads like this what is up with that?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
It's amazing to me how many good intentioned people can be so convinced the engine is toast or the only way to be sure is to dismantle it.

Really people!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
How good is your automotive insurance provider? If you only have basic, cheap insurance, the following may not work for you.

I would give your insurance agent a call an explain what happened. Talk to them about filing a claim because someone else damaged your car. This would likely be covered under comprehensive or full coverage. Now it is your insurance company who is hanging over the quick lube place making sure they fix everything, otherwise they can sue them to cover the costs of getting your car repaired. THey can have a bit more clout than a an average pissed off (rightfully so) customer.

I had a friend who took his Dodge Stratus to a quick lube place and had a similar thing happen. In that case, they didn't get to it in time and the engine seized. The oil change placed drug their feet until he got his insurance provider involved and then suddenly they got him a new engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
At this point I'm guessing everything is fine. Back when I was a delivery driver, a tire shop way overfilled the oil in my delivery pickup. The oil foamed up and the engine lost all oil pressure (warning lights flashing, gauge on zero, warning beeps, etc). I pulled over and turned it off but it took probably about 15-20 seconds to do since I was on an interstate. To make a long story short, there wasn't any engine damage and the pickup was still running strong at 250,000+ city delivery miles when I quit the job.

If you are still worried, I'd still suggest getting an UOA. A scored bearing will produce very high wear metal content numbers (and not just a slight increase in numbers).

·
Registered
73 Posts
If in fact the oil plug was missing your engine is shot, end of story. If they try to say otherwise they are lying or clueless. The issues caused by running an engine without oil even for a short period of time may not show up now, rather over time. Watch oil level closely and I'm guessing you'll be seeing oil consumption rise over the next few thousand miles.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
If in fact the oil plug was missing your engine is shot, end of story. If they try to say otherwise they are lying or clueless. The issues caused by running an engine without oil even for a short period of time may not show up now, rather over time. Watch oil level closely and I'm guessing you'll be seeing oil consumption rise over the next few thousand miles.
He didn't run the engine without oil, when he pulled over oil was still pissing out of the engine. If oil is coming out of the engine it had to be in there to begin with.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
So I have a question, I've historically tightened my bolt and new crush washer with a torque wrench at about 30ft lbs which feels tighter than I would go by hand but you need to crush that new washer. So how many just tighten it hard by hand and how many use their wrench?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
I thread it by hand until it stops with some resistance (seating the washer), that’s really more so you don’t x-thread it. Then lock/crush it down with the wrench.<O:p</O:p
Given the design/profile of the washer you truly have to crush it, thereby the 32.5# spec. With the size of the drain bolt, I don’t see how you/most can attain 30# just with your fingers.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
So I have a question, I've historically tightened my bolt and new crush washer with a torque wrench at about 30ft lbs which feels tighter than I would go by hand but you need to crush that new washer. So how many just tighten it hard by hand and how many use their wrench?
A quick google search says between 24 and 33ft-lbs of torque.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/changing-break-oil-70811/index2.html#post787789

I'd imagine it's similar for the Outback.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would have been useful to know how much oil was left when they drained it out. Add the quart or so that drained out when you stopped and you have an idea of how low it got while you were driving it. If you were only down a quart or even two, it is unlikely any significant damage was done. I've had leaks that went undetected leading to that kind of loss, was corrected, and then drove the car for another 125,000 miles without any perceptible loss of compression or oil consumption.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
41 Posts
Only the OP knows for sure but if the oil on the ground is all that was left in the motor when you stopped then it looks like less than a quart of oil was left in the motor. maybe 1/2 quart from the looks of the puddle.

just my 2 cents
-Mike.

The puddles look like large amounts until you actually pour a measured volume on the ground. We do this with EMS training. pouring measured amounts of fluid to try to show differences in blood loss in trauma patients.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Oil does two things for a motor, provide lubrication and cooling. A lot of people don't realize that you have multiple quarts of oil to provide cooling not lubrication. Lubricating the motor takes almost nothing. As long as a part didn't go dry he's probably fine. This is why cold starts are usually the point of the most wear an engine endures on a daily basis.

·
Registered
14 ob limited
329 Posts
Oil does two things for a motor, provide lubrication and cooling. A lot of people don't realize that you have multiple quarts of oil to provide cooling not lubrication. Lubricating the motor takes almost nothing. As long as a part didn't go dry he's probably fine. This is why cold starts are usually the point of the most wear an engine endures on a daily basis.
If this was true they would run the oil through a cooler!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Oil can help cool an engine, but the volume of oil isn't for that - its for reserves. If you've ever checked your oil RIGHT after shutting down, often it will appear low, even VERY low. Remember you've got a 4+ quart system, and 'low' on the dipstick is in most cars ~1qt. By 2qts low, you're off the stick - but you're still at 50% oil capacity, and the low oil pressure light rarely comes on in such a case. That's because the pump isn't sucking air yet. With only 2qts, take a really hard turn or a steep grade, and you might find your oil light on. Knowing that people often don't check their oil any more frequently than once a week, if that, an oil leak could run a person down a quart or even two before they catch on. They get one extreme condition, and all oil pressure is lost, and boom! You've got almost instant wear damage somewhere.

The idea is called the Factor of Safety, and in the case of oil capacity vs oil actually required, they design these things with a factor of at least 2 - 100% more than needed at minimum.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts