Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my subi oil changed at the dealer today, drove it home and i started smelling oil coming out of the vents? Like oil on the exahust smell, orsomething like taht. It has been raining pretty good lately i like to check it but cant until the rain stops later tomorrow. Could this be a issue i need to take it back and have them looked at?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Probably just spilled some oil during the change. If the dipstick level is fine, it'll probably go away in a day or two as the oil burns off.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I would check oil level and make sure nothing is leaking. You don't want to wait until the oil light comes on. And watch for spots of oil under the car, but with the undercover, it can be a while before those show up.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Oil was probably dumped on the exhaust heat shield while changing the oil filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been having this problem for a while, not related to oil changes. It is noticeable only when at a stop. I found that the gasket between the head and the exhaust was leaking on the driver side, I replaced both sides and also the "donut" gasket further back in the exhaust because it was easy. I had high hopes but that didn't do it.

Also today I cleaned out my PCV valve due to a rough idle and sudden jump in oil consumption, I hoped that maybe that would help but so far after a quick test drive it doesn't smell like it. Might take a few days to burn out whatever oil is in the exhaust system.

There may also be some as yet undiscovered leaks in the exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Finally got this figured out!

My independent mechanic said it was due to either the cracked CV joint boots dripping grease on the exhaust, or the valve cover gaskets leaking oil on the exhaust. I hadn't seen any signs of oil on the exhaust but since both were work that needed doing I had him take care of them. Nope, the exhaust smell was still there.

This weekend I put the car up on ramps and removed the heat shield around the exhaust headers and the first cat. I discovered a cracked weld at the inlet to the cat, I could feel the exhaust coming out. The dealer said "sorry, warranty is only to 80K on that part" and quoted over $700 to remove and replace the headers and cat. I said "no thanks" took it to a muffler shop instead where they fixed the cracked weld, I was in-and-out in 20 minutes and $40.

No more exhaust smell!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yep by the way I paid $150 for a new cat at the ma and pa exhaust shop. Yes my original was toast I split the Y pipe nearly 4yrs earlier and basically filled the front cat full of dirt over 4yrs of driving around with a crack at the Y. Off roading and getting a little rough on the Legacy GT did it. New Ypipe was like $280 took me 35 minutes to pull the old one and put the new one on at 140,000 miles. Dealer wanted $1700!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
subiesailor.....you got a cat for $ 150.00 ?

I have never seen any that low price before...........really makes you think when dealer / midas/meinekie charges nearly $ 1000.00 installed!!!!

In SF !!!

WOW......and I thought SF was MORE expensive than BOSTON !!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yep $150 installed brand new saw it come out of the package. Put another 40K on the car with zero issues. Buy from a chain store they'll rip you off every time

·
Registered
514 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmm I could DRIVE there and back...have a good visit to Candlestick.get a cat installed..................drive home AND STILL have money left over !!

If I ever need a cat.....I will be contacting you...if thats ok?

Also...do you know what brand it was ?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I think this is the place that did it
They have two outdoor lifts and work fast. I walked about 4 doors down for a deli lunch and came back and the car was done.
Exhaust Works
(1 Review)
425 Old County Rd, Belmont, CA 94002
(650) 591-7062
Exhaust Works

They charged me $30 to try and weld the split in the Y pipe - didn't take was too hard to reach the crack. So I replaced it. Again the dealer wanted $1700 for the Ypipe and the cat alone.

I spent about $700 replaced the Y pipe, Cat OEM front O2 sensor rear was fine. Then replaced all 4 wheel bearings and all 4 shocks my self, one bearing was getting loud and given it was easy I did all 4 so $700 I replaced a bunch of worn out stuff. Car was like new again it did two 2500 mile road trips after that zero issues.

·
Registered
514 Posts
man....I wish we had a place like that around here.....VERY reasonable...AND sounds like they know what they are doing.

Brand on the cat ? and thanks for the info.....much appreciated !!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
man....I wish we had a place like that around here.....VERY reasonable...AND sounds like they know what they are doing.

Brand on the cat ? and thanks for the info.....much appreciated !!
No idea on the brand - it worked met CA emissions spec and was fine 40,000 miles later when I sold the car

·
Registered
80 Posts
so is the burnt oil smell that we are talking about really an exhaust issue??? My car has had that smell ever since I purchased it used in 2007. BTW it is a 2005 OBW2.5 I never really thought much about it until lately as I started replacing worn out parts like wheel bearings and drive axles. 147880miles and going strong, would just like to fix the oil smell or hot motor smell. thanks for the help

·
Registered
Silver 06 2.5i
696 Posts
I always get the oil smell after my oil change. It is near impossible not to spill oil on the exhaust when replacing the filter.
I also noticed the intake for the HVAC pulls the air from under the hood instead of outside air. I have a 06 with 91 k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just changed my own oil last week and got the oil smell as well butI know it was due to me spinning the filter off too fast and slinging oil into the heat shield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so is the burnt oil smell that we are talking about really an exhaust issue??? My car has had that smell ever since I purchased it used in 2007. BTW it is a 2005 OBW2.5 I never really thought much about it until lately as I started replacing worn out parts like wheel bearings and drive axles. 147880miles and going strong, would just like to fix the oil smell or hot motor smell. thanks for the help
That's what ended up being the problem for me. Two separate leaks - the first was one of the gaskets to the exhaust manifold leaking, I replaced that and then got lazy and didn't pull the heatshield to inspect the rest of the exhaust. Then when the smell still didn't go away I pulled the heatshield and found the cracked weld at the cat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts