Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change (Mobil 1) this past weekend but I couldn't get the washer off the oil pan nut. Are there any tricks or advice to getting it off? Not sure if it was over torqued at the factory but I can't get the darn thing off.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The oil pans are painted when the plug/crush washer are already installed. Make sure you pry that thing off and don't reuse it. That is a no-no. Get a new one every oil change.
The first time you take the drain plug off, the crush washer will be black around the edges due to the painting of the pan. Take it off before installing a new one. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Brian's right......but i've re-used many, many drain plpug gaskets, many many times without signif leakage. trick is to fill drain plug threads with high temp grease (synth wheel brg grease or CV joint grease is great). not ideal practice, but it seems to work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the link to Scoobymods described it exactly. At first I thought the crush washer was missing since it's all painted black. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for my next oil change but I'll monitor till then to make sure I don't have any leaks.

I knew I could depend on you guys for the answer.

:29:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
keystone
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing