Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably an obvious problem, but I can't figure it out.

I just swapped out my front brake pads (Duralast Gold 929). It was a bit more difficult than I remember to install than the last set to be. The pads seemed to be pretty tight to the rotors when I installed them. Almost seemed like the they were too thick, but a called the auto parts store to double check that I got the correct ones.

After some ado I got everything buttoned up and drove down the street to check it out. It feels like the brakes are constantly being applied (50% ish). There was no pull one way or another but the driver side was smoking a bit when I returned.

Also, the peddle seems really squishy. When I slam on the brakes and the car doesn't stop as fast as it should.

So what say ye? What's my issue?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Probably an obvious problem, but I can't figure it out.

I just swapped out my front brake pads (Duralast Gold 929). It was a bit more difficult than I remember to install than the last set to be. The pads seemed to be pretty tight to the rotors when I installed them. Almost seemed like the they were too thick, but a called the auto parts store to double check that I got the correct ones.

After some ado I got everything buttoned up and drove down the street to check it out. It feels like the brakes are constantly being applied (50% ish). There was no pull one way or another but the driver side was smoking a bit when I returned.

Also, the peddle seems really squishy. When I slam on the brakes and the car doesn't stop as fast as it should.

So what say ye? What's my issue?
What year car? Stuck pin could be hanging up the caliper causing the pad to still have some load on it after you let up on the brake. If you could get the pads and caliper back on the disc I can't see how they could be dragging hard enough to give you that braking feel without actually hitting the brake.

AS for the the squishy pedal - when you compress the caliper cylinder back to fit the new pads you could have stirred up some air trapped in the system or the brake fluid is just not that good anymore and needs to be flushed.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
The squishy pedal and the half-on brakes could both be caused by a pad that is hung up on one side, pressed against the rotor, but is bent when the brakes are applied.

I'm laying my nickel on a cocked pad (2 dimensions to pick from).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally figured it out. Both "lock pins" were seized up. I just though they didn't move and that's why they're called lock pins.

Funny/dangerous part of the story.....

I tried all flavor of persuasion to get them loose. I eventually figured out that if I applied heat in the right spot to the caliper bridge the lubrication would boil and expand. I didn't know this for the first one and it about took my head off then it shot out like a bullet. The second one I put on the ground facing away from me and it shot out again. Flew 70 ft. over the privacy fence and hit my neighbor's house!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing