Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Subaru Legacy Outback with a JDM ej25
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. Actually the first forum I've ever joined...;)

I bought a 96 legacy outback for $600 with blown HG's and a bad engine knock. We were gonna re-man the engine until the cost was apparent, so we just decided to buy $1300 JDM with 40,000 miles on it.

We installed the engine then changed the timing belt (timing's perfect) (we used the jdm intake too). We could not get it to start at all for two days of brain racking. Tracked the problem down to the knock sensor. fired right up. smoked for a while but now is running clear of smoke.

I've driven it a little and have noticed that it get horrible gas mileage
(like 15 mpg)

We get two CELs, p0403 for EGR and a p0441 for something labeled "evap control system purge flow fault"

I have two questions:

Will the car run good without an EGR valve?
I plan on long trips (3000 miles).

and

Could either of those CEL's be causing the horrid gas mileage?

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Will the car run good without an EGR valve?
A malfunctioning EGR system usually has no effect on driveability or mileage, so I guess not having one at all shouldn't be a problem ... as long as you're in an area that doesn't have inspections.

I take it you used the JDM intake manifold, too? If you used the USDM original one, then the EGR ports on the IM would need to be plugged.

Jut in case you need or decide to add the EGR back in, here's a link to a DIY:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-egr-port-jdm-ej25-dohc-95-98-151598.html

The factory service manual does say this about a P0400/P0403 code:
TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
-Poor driving performance on low engine speed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a quick reply.

We did use the JDM Intake manifold.
and I can can get away without inspections.

So according to the service manual, the EGR not being there could cause it to run poorly.
Maybe bad MPG at idle?

But why though? The JDM didn't have one... Do they not require one? if not I could just delete the code

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
If you still have the USDM ECU/computer, the code will come back as it will be looking for the EGR and not find it. The CEL will always be on. So, deleting the code won't buy you much. The engine should run fine without the EGR. If you're having engine/mileage issues, I'd look elsewhere, like the P0441 code.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
If you still have the USDM ECU/computer, the code will come back as it will be looking for the EGR and not find it. The CEL will always be on. So, deleting the code won't buy you much. The engine should run fine without the EGR. If you're having engine/mileage issues, I'd look elsewhere, like the P0441 code.
The EGR code could pose a problem depending on your state inspection requirements, though. In MA, anything '96 or newer has to pass the OBDII test, meaning no codes and enough monitors showing as "ready."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have any ideas on the p0441 code?

I won't mind so much if the check engine light is on, as i'll know why.
I don't have any inspections to worry about. Robertson County in Tennessee is pretty lax when it come to registration. but I pay more for the convenience. $109.25 a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts