Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this 98 outback and the serpentine belt is very cracked and worn down so I am going to replace it on the next nice day we have but I am wondering what to do about the AC belt. The AC doesn't work anymore and probably never will so is it ok to just take off the belt and leave it off? For that matter is their any harm in unbolting and junking the whole system for no other reason then to give myself easier access to the engine for cleaning and maintenance?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier
679 Posts
If nothing else is being run by the belt to the AC compressor, you can certainly take it off.

As to the rest of the AC system, yes, you can remove it all and trash it, but ..... in all clear conscience you should first take the car to a service tech and have the AC refrigerant properly removed and recycled. Releasing it into the atmosphere is not only environmentally wrong, but can be dangerous to the person doing the job, if done improperly.

·
Registered
02 OBW
128 Posts
Depending on what you take out, you might consider plugging the evaporator at least, so nothing gets in there.

Thinking of pulling the condenser in front of (i think) the radiator?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts