Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does (or, did) anyone else here own an older generation of Subaru? I ask because I have a 1989 GL sedan that isn't running these days. I need to finish a head gasket replacement job on that EA82 engine, which was nearly finished but called off due to cold weather last December.

I'm just curious whether anyone else is interested in discussing the quirks of that generation of Subarus. For example, if anyone here did not already know, the spare tire is located right where the intercooler is on a WRX.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Hei Lizard,

My first car was a 1971 ff-1 sedan with a 1100cc engine.
My second car was a 1978 BRAT w/an EA-71.
My next 3 vehicles were Chevies, 1987 Beretta w/2.8 V6 5spd, 1957 1/2 ton 2wd truck w/327 2bbl and 4spd, then my beloved 1989 C1500 w/5.7 5spd londbed standard cab.
Then I got married and we drove a 1989 Toyota Corolla 1600 dohc 5spd(that car had heart, an honorary Subie).
THen we got a 1993 Legacy LS fwd wagon in Hawai'i
In Virginia we got a 1983 4wd wagon.
Then a 1996 Outback w/2.5 4EAT
Now a second 1978 BRAT
Now my 1990 Legacy (L-) fwd 5spd sedan
And finally our 2002 Legacy Outback.

So I completely missed the EA-82 Subarus.

I'd love to talk about whatever.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My family's history includes:

Dad's 1982 DL sedan, quite a little cutie and a very good car. It was white, and nicknamed Zubi, which is Russian for "tooth"

He traded that one in for a dark gray 1986 GL10 turbo sedan, with the pushbutton 4WD in the gearshift. (first 4WD in the house) He had the dealer remove the little rubber spoiler; for some reason, he has an avid hatred of spoilers on cars. It was also a good car. except late in its life the rear pneumatic suspension developed a leak that no one could find.

So, he traded that one in for a 1995 Legacy, which he still has, named the Bluebird. It's good, and he liked it enough to buy it from the insurance company after he was sideswiped by a truck and the car was totalled. This was the first to have an automatic transmission. (Like this one, but medium blue metallic)

Odd, both that 95 and my mother's 1989 Delta 88 are on salvage titles - it was really funny to see hot rod builder catalogs arriving in the mail, addressed to Mom!

Then, I got my OB in 1998, and it's sitting out in the apartment lot right now.

*leans over to look at it through the window*

·
Registered
137 Posts
What a trip Lizard, Mom getting hot rod catalogs, talk about a dream come true. Way COOL!!

My mom left Subarus but is considering coming back. She has had enough of her Cavalier, a good car as well for her.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, both my parents are reaching the age when lots of small mishaps occur. Mom just recently hooked the Olds bumper on the garage door frame when backing out. Dad gets little scuffs on his Legacy - that sideswipe by a truck was his fault.

He drove home from Chicago with the front fender in the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
All a guy could say is ouch!!!!!

One night I was on my way home crossing the summits and I decided to take a dip in Lake Tahoe. I thought I'd drive my front wheels into the water. So, I did, then when it was time to back out there was no traction. Did I mention it was winter and ice all over? So then 4wd is engaged and ease out the clutch again, this time when the tires slipped the water got deeper. I openned my door to see how far I would have to walk in the water to go for help. What was that sound? !!!!!!It's water!!! SLAM! *&^%$#@*&^? It is after 10pm, who would open their door for me? Well, I thought to try just crank the starter in reverse. It worked very well.

Me and snow are a good/bad mix, like driving and alcohol sometimes.

The older Subes just don't have the ground clearance and let's face it in 198x there just weren't lift kits around for a '78 BRAT. I am not really one to go and just tear something apart and go for it changing and come out with a beast that actually works. There are those out there and more power to them, many kudos, just not me.

One night I got stuck 2x on my way home over the summit again. I slipped on a steep, tight switchback and got my right front and left rear too high. I slid down a ways in the super nice fresh snow that was about 8 inches deep and had to dig myself out with a piece of particle board from an unfinished project. About a half hour later I am exploring a small road with deep, frozen ruts that were too deep and too wide. The BRAT was teeter side to side when finally he decided to drive into a ditch against my wishes. Yup, another 45 minutes later I dug myself out and had to use my old clutch parts(pressure plate, friction disc) laying under the seats. We weren't afraid of anything, just not too smart in surveying the situation in those days.

Oh, the clutch needed changing because of the 2000lb ski boat being towed all over God's creation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts