Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Outback 3.0 VDC and the driver side light does not work, i swapped bulbs from the other side and the bulb is good. There is a HID box mounted under the headlight. How do you troubleshoot that? I can hear the bulb clicking(sounds like a relay) in the headlight. The other question is it has only one bulb for the high and low beam, but there is a open hole below where the bulb is installed that looks like a bulb should go there but it has two red wires going into it?? Thanks for any help. Also when my daughter ordered new lamps for the car they sent two bulbs for each side (H1 and 9005, 4300K)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,702 Posts
HID is not standard. You may need an auto electrics expert to either fix what you have or return to stock configuration. Any chance of getting info from the previous owner? brand of HID or what shop did the installation?

seems like a quick-and-dirty job if the back of the reflector is open. I'd get the hid outta there I think. Go back to stock. check Daniel Stern lighting for some info on auto lights. I recently installed narva +50 bulbs in the wife's car - very nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i thought it was stock, after further investigation they actually cut out the back of the reflector about 8" round and then inserted a new type of bulb and epoxied it into place. I have never seen anthing even offered for this type of installation. The ballasts looked like they actually belonged there, i am going to try to replace the ballast because i would need to buy two new headlights and all the wiring to bring it back to stock.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,702 Posts
Thanks for the reply, i thought it was stock, after further investigation they actually cut out the back of the reflector about 8" round and then inserted a new type of bulb and epoxied it into place. I have never seen anthing even offered for this type of installation. The ballasts looked like they actually belonged there, i am going to try to replace the ballast because i would need to buy two new headlights and all the wiring to bring it back to stock.
well, it sounds like it may be a better upgrade than i thought if they put the HID reflector in. Sometimes they cut those from other car's lights (Honda, BMW, etc.) do just as you mentioned. And try to find some guidelines on adjusting the lights too, in case the PO didn't.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
LKQ Auto Parts. They are all over the country and if they don't have it at a local yard, they have route trucks that run the country regularly for delivery to your local affiliate yard. I am fortunate enough to be in the middle of two major yards; one in Sequin and the other in Dallas.

Also, Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to search salvage yards locally, state, region or country wide. Even Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts