Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a hot topic and a bit of a sore subject but I need to ask. I just had a head gasket failure. If I repair it, does that fix the problem or will it happen again? I own a 98 impreza(failed), 00 outback wagon and 01 legacy. I understand that's a million dollar question. Anything helps.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
IF your HG problem is on the 15 year old '98 Impreza, have you considered moving on to a newer vehicle for long-term reliability?

Most experts are recommending using the HG from the turbo version on normally aspirated engines to avoid having repeat failure in the future.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You didn't state which engine in the Impreza. The turbo gasket can only be used on the RS model which had the 2.5. All other models used the 2.2.
In either case a properly installed quality gasket will fix it. The only remaining question is how long and often did it overheat. Continued overheating will compromise bearings,especially in the 2.5.

O.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. Impreza has 2.2L and others have 2.5L. I was planning on selling the impreza as is. I won't get my money out of paying someone to repair it. I don't have the money for a newer car which is why I am concerned about the head gasket issue. I understand that older cars have more problems. I like to work on cars but pulling the engine is a big job for me and I don't have the time unless I schedule it off from work. I like subies because they work well with my life style but this dependability issue has me worried. So would it be wise to repair the head gasket before it fails? Anyone know the fail rate?

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
You didn't specify the mileage, but since it's 15 years old, I would guess it's approaching 200K. While HG problems on a 2.2 are unusual judging from the posts on these forums, my 95 2.2 subaru did start to leak combustion gas into the cooling at 215K.

If there weren't other things wrong with my 95, I would have repaired it. So I would advise to repair it and, I think that you could make 300K with it.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, sorry for the lack of info. I am selling my impreza and it has 157k on it. I just posted it yesterday on craigs and have more offers than I was expecting for a 'as is' mechanic special. I guess my question would apply to the 2.5L of my other vehicles. I like subie's and don't want to walk away from the brand. I also don't want to cross my fingers the HG doesn't blow even after it has been repaired. I understand this can happen to all brands, not just subaru. After the repair, does the gasket seem to last longer or is this just a problem I have to deal with? I know these engines will last a long time but repairing the HG more than once seems a little expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts