Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and wanted to share this “build” with you all and also ask some questions about turbos. I’m building a computer case for a family entertainment system lol build except I’m making the case out of a EJ20 open deck block. I’m currently in the process of and almost done milling out the two block halves. I work with engineers and one of them is going to help me build a spacer that matches the block contours I can put between the two block halves so I can get enough width to fit a full size Motherboard in it. Now on to my turbo question. What I want to do with the turbo is mount it and hook it (the impeller shaft that is) to a small 12V electric motor that kicks on when temps reach a certain point. I can get 40,000 rpm motors for pretty cheap and I’m wanting to know if 40,000 is overkill or even feasible for what I’m wanting to do with it or would a lower rpm motor give me a more reasonable blast of cooler air. Thanks

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are talking about putting a 40k rpm motor on a fan that will spool the turbo?

Hook up a wastegate controller. 🤣🤣
I’d like to hook the motor straight onto the impeller shaft and just spool the intake side of the compressor. The electric motor would essentially replace the exhaust side of the turbo.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
17,876 Posts
The compressor moves a high volume of air. Hook the motor up to it and see what it does. You may want to think about a smaller motor if you're going to keep the compressor port in the turbo, you may want a slower motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The compressor moves a high volume of air. Hook the motor up to it and see what it does. You may want to think about a smaller motor if you're going to keep the compressor port in the turbo, you may want a slower motor.
Yeeeeaaahh, a smaller motor is a must. Your post about hooking it up and trying it gave me an idea. I hooked my 2,750rpm impact driver to it and it was pumping out a decent amount of air, more than any case fan does at 1,000 rpm. 40,000rpm might give me a slight turbo whine though. 😃

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,587 Posts
The impact driver has a fair amount of hp/torque to spin the impeller. Moving that much air takes hp. depending on the electric motor, you may not get the rated rpm.

Neat project. Always interesting to see what people come up with. Please post your progress.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The impact driver has a fair amount of hp/torque to spin the impeller. Moving that much air takes hp. depending on the electric motor, you may not get the rated rpm.

Neat project. Always interesting to see what people come up with. Please post your progress.
That’s a good consideration and will have to keep that in my back pocket for testing and design. My impact driver had a drill only setting that still runs at 2750rpm. It’s an 18V motor and pc motherboard fans run off 12v so hopefully their won’t be a huge loss in rpm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are overclocking and running with a high end GPU, do not forget the intercooler...! (y) ;)

PS: You may wish to enter it in some of the custom PC build events. It is a pretty unique concept build.
Haha don’t give me any ideas about adding anything else to the build.
That’s a good idea I’ll have to look into custom PC build events.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how you gonna lube the turbo bearing?

might need a cooling fan for the cooling fan motor....
This is a good question. Still contemplating this . The motor I got has a built in cooling fan and the plan would be to wire it up so it kicks on when the CPU fan kicks on which I hope won’t be too often.. I do wonder if I’d even need lube for the turbo bearing at ~10,000 rpm being that there is no hot side to heat things up to the point of friction. Or just dump some oil in it, plug it and put a 1 way breather valve in.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,781 Posts
The best option for lubricating the turbo shaft would be to replace the brass bushings (I think the turbo has brass bushings and not bearings) with a self lubricating material such as Vesconite.

This might be overkill though and cardoc’s idea of using assembly lube and then sealing off the oil entry and exit ports should also work quite well.

Seagrass

Reactions: XT-sub

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Vehicle

Block is all machined out. Now on to the layout. Will have to do a little more milling for an I/O shield when I figure out it’s exact location. Contemplating a water cooled system using an oil cooler off a parts vehicle I have…or tie my lines into the water jacked and use plexiglass to seal the decks off.🤔

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,055 Posts
Someone else put muffin fans over the water cooler where the cylinder heads would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone else put muffin fans over the water cooler where the cylinder heads would be.

That’s a pretty sweet build! I’m going to try and go for a more contained build with components all inside the block and oil pan (may use a turbo housing as a water pump). The only lighting I want to do is a blue LED, emitting light downward to give a car under glow look.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,166 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been a bit since I’ve updated but I’ve gotten a little done. Got the motherboard mounting plate made, opening for the backplate cut and have removed all the baffles in the oil pan to make room for the PSU and fan.
Wood Art Auto part Machine Metal

Gas Metal Auto part Still life photography Cookware and bakeware

Liquid Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Drinkware

Wood Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

1 - 19 of 19 Posts