Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 07 outback 2.5 I have been knocking one problem out after another. Now it looks to be a leaking vvt solenoid on the passenger side... I took out the 10mm hold down bolt and tried pulling it out... nothing.. tried wiggling it a bit side to side.. it would spin but not budge.. pulled harder and snap... so now I have the lower half still in the there.. please tell me there is a quick fix to this

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
276 Posts
Can you tap around the housing on the block to maybe jar it? Other then that a pry bar.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,489 Posts
On my 07 outback 2.5 I have been knocking one problem out after another. Now it looks to be a leaking vvt solenoid on the passenger side... I took out the 10mm hold down bolt and tried pulling it out... nothing.. tried wiggling it a bit side to side.. it would spin but not budge.. pulled harder and snap... so now I have the lower half still in the there.. please tell me there is a quick fix to this
The solenoid and the oil temperature sensor are fitted to a housing that's attached to the back of the head with four bolts. Remove the housing, and it might be possible to push the spool valve end of the solenoid out of the housing. While there, the screen filter could be checked. (Look through https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/avls-filter-and-p0026-p0028.509227/. It has photos of the housing, solenoid and screen filter that might be helpful.)

The solenoid has an o-ring that fits snugly into the bore in the housing, and that can prevent it from being pulled out easily.

There's a gasket between the housing and head.

Although it's past this point now, are you sure the oil was coming from the solenoid? There's nearby sources of oil leakage that are more common, such as the AVLS oil pressure sensor switch mounted on the head forward of the solenoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The solenoid and the oil temperature sensor are fitted to a housing that's attached to the back of the head with four bolts. Remove the housing, and it might be possible to push the spool valve end of the solenoid out of the housing. While there, the screen filter could be checked. (Look through https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/avls-filter-and-p0026-p0028.509227/. It has photos of the housing, solenoid and screen filter that might be helpful.)

The solenoid has an o-ring that fits snugly into the bore in the housing, and that can prevent it from being pulled out easily.

Although it's past this point now, are you sure the oil was coming from the solenoid? There's nearby sources of oil leakage that are more common, such as the AVLS oil pressure sensor switch mounted on the head forward of the solenoid.

So... I heated a small flat head screwdriver up with a map gas torch, bent the tip to 90 degrees attached vice grips to the shaft by the handle and used the 90 degree tip to hook one of the ridges inside the vvt solenoid.. got it out!!! I still dont get where all this oil is comming from... I was told by the dealership it was from the avis pressure solenoid.. I replaced it and while taking it out noticed the head was cracked where it screwed in... found an outstanding welder who did welded it... seams good... replaced the gasket on metal housing because I had to take it off to get room for the welder. Thing is before I replaced the oil pressure switch it didn't leak like it does now.... it comes out at a steady rate and flows down on the crossmember for the rack and pinion, the inside boot of the passenger cv axle and than on the exhaust... and it srams to only leak at higher engine rpm.. when under load especially....I'm at a loss :(

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
276 Posts
You mightve pinched the o ring on install. Or maybe the gasket surface wasnt clean enough and leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I suppose its possible... but I cleaned them realy well.... does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the head? And I assumed no gasket sealer or anything on that gasket correct?

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,489 Posts
I was told by the dealership it was from the avis pressure solenoid.. I replaced it and while taking it out noticed the head was cracked where it screwed in...
Thing is before I replaced the oil pressure switch it didn't leak like it does now.... it comes out at a steady rate
I'm not clear where the oil is coming from. There seems to be some confusion between the oil switching solenoid, which slides into a separate housing on the back of the head and is held in the housing by a single bolt, and the oil pressure switch, which is screwed into the top of the head itself.

avls solenoid.jpg avls RH.jpg RH avls parts.jpg

It's not uncommon for the pressure switch itself to develop a leak, or for the boss to crack when the switch is screwed into the head. Both will tend to leak more when the car is being driven and the engine is above ~1600 rpm; that's when the AVLS changes from low to high intake valve lift, and there's higher pressure being applied to the oil path that the pressure switch is connected into.

Here's a photo of a cracked boss; this is on the left (driver) side head, but the same happens on the right side.
cracked boss.JPG

Perhaps clean down the whole area, start the engine, and watch for the first sign of oil leakage. That should help identify where it's coming from if it's not evident now.

does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the head? And I assumed no gasket sealer or anything on that gasket correct?
See diagram above. No gasket sealer, just the gasket.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,027 Posts
Yeah I suppose its possible... but I cleaned them realy well.... does anyone know the torque specs for the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the head? And I assumed no gasket sealer or anything on that gasket correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts