Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Usually it's done with a controller mounted in the car as opposed to just the regulator/motor in the door. If the '13s have it from the factory it might be able to retrofit but it's a long shot.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
Funny, I was thinking the opposite way. I would like to disable the one-touch feature on the driver's window, at least in the up direction. I find it to be a real PITA to try to get the driver's window to stop part way open at the height that I want it. Up/down/up/down..... tap a few times to adjust some more.... oops, held it too long, have to start over again.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Usually it's done with a controller mounted in the car as opposed to just the regulator/motor in the door. If the '13s have it from the factory it might be able to retrofit but it's a long shot.
I doubt they do. Most automakers shy away from all but the drivers door b/c of liability issues (passengers w/ smashed fingers).

My 2007 Saab had auto up/down on all 4 windows, but it had a bump-stop feature that would stop the window on auto-up if it encountered resistance (ie a finger). This type of system is great, but probably too expensive for Subaru to offer.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
Haven't heard of it being done, but would love to do it. One feature I miss most about my VW Golf, a little compact car that had more tech than my mid-size wagon. It had the pinch feature as well and more importantly you could turn the car off while the windows were going up (or down) and they'd continue to close/open all the way regardless of power (or closing them all via the key-fob when out of the car). All the little crap like that which I enjoyed with my Golf, now I feel "old school" having to hold up three switches to close the windows :p

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
I doubt they do. Most automakers shy away from all but the drivers door b/c of liability issues (passengers w/ smashed fingers).

My 2007 Saab had auto up/down on all 4 windows, but it had a bump-stop feature that would stop the window on auto-up if it encountered resistance (ie a finger). This type of system is great, but probably too expensive for Subaru to offer.
This is one of only a few issues I have with my '12 OB. I'm a survivor of multiple "smashed finger" incidents (thanks dad!) but would love to be able to auto up/down all the windows. My car is parked outside, so I'd rather worry about smashing a finger than about the rear windows being open during a rainstorm.

My '10 Camry LE had full up/down so it can't be that expensive. The safety sensor and automatic stop is probably the cost-prohibitive piece.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny, I was thinking the opposite way. I would like to disable the one-touch feature on the driver's window, at least in the up direction. I find it to be a real PITA to try to get the driver's window to stop part way open at the height that I want it. Up/down/up/down..... tap a few times to adjust some more.... oops, held it too long, have to start over again.
Just don't push/pull the switch the whole way, there is a positive click that you have to push/pull past to get it move go automatically.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't heard of it being done, but would love to do it. One feature I miss most about my VW Golf, a little compact car that had more tech than my mid-size wagon. It had the pinch feature as well and more importantly you could turn the car off while the windows were going up (or down) and they'd continue to close/open all the way regardless of power (or closing them all via the key-fob when out of the car). All the little crap like that which I enjoyed with my Golf, now I feel "old school" having to hold up three switches to close the windows :p
This is exactly where I'm coming from. My 10 year old, $23k Jetta has auto up/down driver and passenger windows but my brand new, $32k Outback doesn't...

I also miss being able to open/close all the windows by putting the key in the driver's door lock. Not a huge plus, but it was nice to air the car out without having to put the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
This is exactly where I'm coming from. My 10 year old, $23k Jetta has auto up/down driver and passenger windows but my brand new, $32k Outback doesn't...
Ditto!. My '04 TDI has them...but in Canada the OB costs more....lol

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't just make stuff up. :rolleyes:
My most humble apologies. What I meant was: I think most automakers shy away from all but the drivers door b/c of liability issues. Unless, that is, we are we no longer allowed to share opinions here. This is the internet....you know....that thing that gives a voice to people who should not have one (myself included). :D

·
Registered
2010 Silver 3.6R Premium
43 Posts
I used to have a Passat and of the few things that I liked better were the "switchblade" style key and the fact I had auto up/down driver and passenger windows and I could raise/lower all four windows with just using my key and not having to start the car up.

These would be nice changes for Subaru to consider!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to have a Passat and of the few things that I liked better were the "switchblade" style key and the fact I had auto up/down driver and passenger windows and I could raise/lower all four windows with just using my key and not having to start the car up.

These would be nice changes for Subaru to consider!
You can get a Subaru switch blade key. There is a shell out there which will acept the "guts" of your current key.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts

i thought so to until i bought a '11 prius that ALL of the windows had auto up/down. i couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
17 Posts
All US vehicles after 2008 that come equipped with the auto up feature are government regulated to have an anti-pinch feature, according to FMVSS 118 (federal motor vehicle safety standards). I believe the maximum force that the window is allowed to exert on an obstruction (i.e. finger, arm, head, etc.) is 25 lbf, or 100N. Still enough to kill a baby, imo, but like always, the government knows best.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The switch has 2 detents for any auto feature (up or down) that send different commands back to the window switch. Lightly holding up on the switch will allow you to manually control where the window stops at. From there if you were to pull up one more time the switch will actually click when the second detent is engaged. This is when the auto up feature is activated. This will raise your window until it is closed or until it senses an obstruction. The reverse holds true for auto-down, except that there is no such anti-pinch feature in the downward direction<o:p></o:p>
For those of you thinking about trying to carry this feature over to the passenger door, it is not easy or even possible unless:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
a. the manufacturer already offers a trim package with this available for the passenger door and you scavenge the window lift motor, switch module, and complete door wiring harness off it, or<o:p></o:p>
b. you are an EE with time on your hands<o:p></o:p>
For those of you wishing to disable this feature, that's easy. Pull the wiring diagram, find out which pin(s) is sending the pulse wave (signal) back to the switch module (where the logic, that determines the difference between an obstruction and the upper limit of window travel, is stored), de-pin that pin (or pins), tape it off so it doesn’t start a fire, and put everything back together. Either that or go easy on the switch when you don't want it to go into auto mode like the rest of us. :)<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My most humble apologies. What I meant was: I think most automakers shy away from all but the drivers door b/c of liability issues. Unless, that is, we are we no longer allowed to share opinions here. This is the internet....you know....that thing that gives a voice to people who should not have one (myself included). :D
LOL, fair enough. :7:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT Premium
32 Posts
I used to have an old Isuzu Rodeo with terrible electronics. I don't recall how many times I had to replace the drivers window control box. From what I recall the auto up feature in it was a simple difference in the plastic components of the switch. I imagine with a bit of frankensteinian engineering any window switch could be made into an auto up, just need to use the same type of switch. I'd raid the junk yards (not that you'd find many gen4 obs) and find the auto up switches or control boxes and switch them with the non-auto switches in your own ride. In the old Rodeo I could have done it easy... In the outback...dunno... I'd need to open everything up, and gawd knows I'm not doing that with my doors until I found some switches/control-boxes from a junk yard first that I could study.

PS I'd have no idea though how to introduce the "pinch stop"

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
971 Posts
My wife's Volvo (C70 retractable hardtop) has nice "all windows up" and "all windows down" buttons, which come in handy when putting the roof up or down. Since it has frameless side-window glass, the side windows drop 1/2" when you start to open the door, to clear the roof panels. Somewhat strangely, when you put the roof down, the side windows are all left raised, I guess for some wind protection. (Unless they were already all down.)

What's kind of interesting about this car, is that there is a microprocessor in each door, just to "manage" the windows. These are also monitoring the rate of window movement to protect against pinching, window closing on arm, or even head (dog or child...), etc.

When I changed the battery in this car, a month or two ago, the windows had to be re-trained by running each of them up and down a few times, so they could learn their limits. Seems like overkill to me, but perhaps this has become the cheapest way to do things, given the availability of small microcontrollers that only cost a buck or two. I think I read in the manual that the car has over 30 microcontrollers and processors of various kinds, most of them doing fairly trivial/simple functions.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
i was looking into to this awhile back, couldn't get much info at the time it seemed like,was wondering if the programing would read it for the passenger and still have the driver side work as well, becasue it does seem like there is abit of learning from the car it self like my altima and the outback so i wasn't to sure if i would risk spending the money on a full new window cluster, gut it, try to put it into mine and hope it worked lol, seems like a lot of time and things can go wrong, but if you do decide i will be waiting to hear from you! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts