Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'15 OB 3.6R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple weeks I'm doing a round trip from Vancouver BC to Grande Prairie, AB (1,200KM/744MI) through the Canadian Rockies. I'll be towing a Uhaul for the return trip - here is my question:

A one way uhaul rental is $250 but if I tow the uhaul both ways (returning at the same location) it would be $80. Call me cheap but that's a significant savings.

Would you do a one way tow or returned tow?

I'm driving a '15 OB 3.6R

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,955 Posts
One way.

Any savings on the U haul will be negated by the extra fuel used to tow a trailer 600+ miles.

Especially if it's a larger one you would likely be in the hole.

When I towed a large trailer I averaged around 12 mpg.

Typically in the mid 20's on the highway with the 3.6.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
277 Posts
You might want to factor in your gas cost. Towing drops your mileage 4+ mpg. 744 miles is a lot of miles. Well, like Brucey said..

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,209 Posts
Agree with one-way. The gas mileage on the Sub is greatly affected by towing, especially over the mountains.
If you were pulling with a diesel truck, it would barely be any different with the trailer so in that case it may make sense to do a 2-way pull.
Yeah, I get being cheap. I'd ponder over it too.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
490 Posts
Definitely do some math on this but I think unfortunately with gas and wear and tear you are going to come out about the same either way. I would just do 1 way at that point.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
Find a brand where the chain, not the individual franchise owner, owns the trailer. There will be very little surcharge for a one-way rental. They exist, at least here in the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts