Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i manual. 103,000 miles. My very first!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a motorcycle nut. I've always had bikes and always will. I'm really into adventure touring on motorcycles, going off into the wilderness where few will ever venture. The problem I've encountered recently is getting my kids out into these remote areas to expose them to wilderness. That's why I bought an OB.
My main adventure bike is a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I did the WABDR with it last summer and I'm ready to do it again!
Are there any of you who enjoy motorcycling in any capacity as well? Tell us all about it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**** yes! It's no GS, but it gets around just fine. I have a set of knobbies for it that work rather well. When I get home, I'll have to upload some pics. I also have a Yamaha FJR, that one's never really been offroad.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight (Graphite Grey)
10 Posts
I too am an avid motorcycle enthusiast. I ride the DL650 off-road as well. I have done many high alpine passes in Colorado with it. :) The WABDR looks awesome.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I am a Parts and Service Manager for a Japanese dealer. I've also worked for various Euro dealers. I also love adventure touring. Out of all the styles of riding I've done, I think I enjoy that the most. I just wish I picked a different career. Summer in New England is my busiest time, lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cobdr

Hey Jason! There's a Colorado version of it now that looks pretty cool. There was a premier of the DVD at our local BMW shop but I had to work. I'll probably just buy the DVD and have a viewing party at my house.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm a motorcycle cop.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
I'm a motorcycle nut. I've always had bikes and always will. I'm really into adventure touring on motorcycles, going off into the wilderness where few will ever venture. The problem I've encountered recently is getting my kids out into these remote areas to expose them to wilderness. That's why I bought an OB.
My main adventure bike is a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I did the WABDR with it last summer and I'm ready to do it again!
Are there any of you who enjoy motorcycling in any capacity as well? Tell us all about it!
So you gotta be on ADVRider....

XR650L is my woods-weapon, what can't get out of the way just gets smashed flat.

·
Registered
'05 OBXT
453 Posts
I'm beginning to plan a trip for next September from the Seattle area down to Monument Valley, Four Corners, Arches and some roads in Nevada. Then back up through Wyo and Montana and then, sadly, back home.

I ride a 1200 Bandit (shown naked here temporarily while I wait on my Madstad windshield set up for my stock S model fairing).
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b458/flaps10/motorcycles/IMAG0124_zps23c3ad45.jpg

ADV has been an inspiration for me.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
I ride my 09 Kawi ER-6N to work, on weekends, and around various places with my 12 y/o on back. Next month it's going on a trailer and I'm dragging it up to the Dragon behind the Outback for a few days of fun with friends.

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
I saw one wheel drive and I immediately thought of my Dodge truck that sits until the snow is gone.

I have an '89 Yamaha FZR400RR with around 14k on it. It has a stage two jet kit and a racetech suspension tuned to my weight. The only thing it would need for track time is safety wire... :-D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a motorcycle cop.

Well, being I'm a motorcycle speeder, I imagine we'll meet one day! Joking aside, is it true that if you get pulled over by a motor cop, you're gonna get a ticket? I heard this to be true in Washington and I can tell ya first hand.....it is. Always. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride a KLR-650 on and off pavement, and I have a DRZ-400e for singletrack and knarly jeep roads. The KLR is great for Colorado, take the pavement to county and Forest Service gravel roads and enjoy the dirt.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ride a KLR-650 on and off pavement, and I have a DRZ-400e for singletrack and knarly jeep roads. The KLR is great for Colorado, take the pavement to county and Forest Service gravel roads and enjoy the dirt.

My neighbor had a couple KLRs, one died in Alaska though. Then he was looking at the DRZs but ended up with a Husky TE310. That's a nice little bike! I'm impressed with how much power that thing puts out. I want one! Around here it's mostly forest service roads and my wee does great on them.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Well, being I'm a motorcycle speeder, I imagine we'll meet one day! Joking aside, is it true that if you get pulled over by a motor cop, you're gonna get a ticket? I heard this to be true in Washington and I can tell ya first hand.....it is. Always. Thoughts?
Motors are 90% traffic and 10% crime cops.
If you return after a 10 hour shift with little productivity, your sgt is gonna ask what you were doing. Traffic cites are the focus and goal of motors. Pulling you over involves work and takes effort especially if the officer sat at a target rich environment for a while.
City car cops OTH are 10% traffic and 90%crime and their work effort is not based on the number of cites produced. So yes it is true, if you get stopped by a motor or highway patrol, you are probably going to get stubbed.
BTW, I work in the Bay Area and not Reno.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motors are 90% traffic and 10% crime cops.
If you return after a 10 hour shift with little productivity, your sgt is gonna ask what you were doing. Traffic cites are the focus and goal of motors. Pulling you over involves work and takes effort especially if the officer sat at a target rich environment for a while.
City car cops OTH are 10% traffic and 90%crime and their work effort is not based on the number of cites produced. So yes it is true, if you get stopped by a motor or highway patrol, you are probably going to get stubbed.
BTW, I work in the Bay Area and not Reno.
The Bay Area, crap! That's where my corporate office is! I guess I'll be good when I'm down that way.;) Do you ride when off duty? With the Sierras so close, I wouldn't be able to stay away. I could ride Monitor Pass all day everyday, not to mention Sonora Pass.......twisty city!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
My 1WD is a Yamaha FZ6. Not going very far off-road with it, but it's a whole lot of fun on the road.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
Only idiots take the Wee-Strom off-road, idiots like me:

Although with the cast wheels and the street suspension I decided I needed something a little more competent in the dirt. So I passed the V-strom off to my dad and got a more 50/50 bike (The Strom is really an 80/20 On/off road bike), that's a little closer to the DRZ (A 80/20 Off/on road bike).

So I got one of these. 2012 Triumph Tiger 880XC:

BTW, there is a whole 5 year old, 17 page thread on this very subject here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/23-village/14716-you-motorcycle-rider-too.html

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The Bay Area, crap! That's where my corporate office is! I guess I'll be good when I'm down that way.;) Do you ride when off duty? With the Sierras so close, I wouldn't be able to stay away. I could ride Monitor Pass all day everyday, not to mention Sonora Pass.......twisty city!
No need to fear me, I'm only a part-time motor rider, Reno is my soon to be full time retirement home.
I do have a '98 MW RT1100 I ride off duty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts