Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring; 3.6R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One year ago today, just about this time of the evening, I rolled into my driveway with my new '17 Outback Touring 3.6

This year has blown by, as they do every year, they just get a LOT faster as one gets older. ;-)

I could write a small book on my first year with my first Subaru, but I promise I'll keep this short.

Even though I've driven it 7300 miles so far, each mile has been a pleasure. Its' safety innovations really help in the crazy metro ATL traffic. The one time we had snow I was 40 miles from home and everyone was freaking out about getting out on the roads but I couldn't wait....and this car surprised me at its ability to handle snowy, slick roads with ease and confidence. I am very glad I went with the 6 cylinder....it has come in handy a few times to get safely out of the away of some whacks that thinks 132 mph is a normal speed to run. In the North GA mountains, the curvy roads up there threw nothing at this car it could not handle smoothly, solidly and believe it or not, with a high level of fun.

I have absolutely no complaints about this automobile at all. Well, one minor one. When I got home with the Outback, I had fourteen, yes, 14, manuals to go through. About 6 pounds of them. It did take many days to read them, find out ALL the switches, settings, etc that you can tweak...and even after one year there may be one or two that still need attention; and every once in awhile I'll have to refer to one of the manuals for one point or another; but it is not a major problem at all.

The only 'add-ons' I've done are a trailer hitch to haul my kayaks; Weather Tech floor mats throughout the car (mine came with two sets...the originals and Subaru's rubber mats) but I needed the Weather Tech mats to catch ALL the gradu that sticks to your shoes from kayak fishing and a lot of yard work . I also installed the Weather Tech window vent shades too...I've always liked the flow of fresh air coming through the car and in the Deep South, that's almost an every day thing ;-)

I am very pleased with this automobile in every way and am very happy that I chose the Subaru Outback Touring 3.6. I just cannot imagine being any happier with anything else available out there right now.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Pat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep I'm about there with my 3.6R Limited and have nothing bad to say about it at all. Quiet, comfortable and fast enough. I don't miss the inconsistent power delivery of the OBXT this 6 cyl replaces, but I miss the good looks of that gen.

No mods at all to mine, I like the stealthy Ice Silver Metallic. I dont want to be noticed.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The one time we had snow I was 40 miles from home and everyone was freaking out about getting out on the roads but I couldn't wait....and this car surprised me at its ability to handle snowy, slick roads with ease and confidence.
My son has been in the Atlanta area for about a year, having moved there from the Baltimore area.

He couldn't believe how bad people freak out over a 1/2 inch of snow or even the mere mention of it in the weather forecast.

He works for CarMax. Here when it snowed he was expected to be at work to help with clearing the cars and the lot. There they close the dealership. He found that funny as heck.

Of course it would help if Atlanta actually owned a salt truck and a snow plow... :grin2:

Reactions: p_rod

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
443 Posts
Very good one year review. I’m at my two-year anniversary this coming weekend with my 2016 OB Ltd with 48,000 miles. I absolutely love my Outback and she has run flawlessly over the miles. My only modification was a trailer hitch to tow my Canoe trailer. I’ve driven her off road and over sand at the beach. When I take her to the dealer for service, my sales guy tries to talk me into trading in for a 2018. I see no reason to do so. Like you, I love my Outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
My son has been in the Atlanta area for about a year, having moved there from the Baltimore area.

He couldn't believe how bad people freak out over a 1/2 inch of snow or even the mere mention of it in the weather forecast.

He works for CarMax. Here when it snowed he was expected to be at work to help with clearing the cars and the lot. There they close the dealership. He found that funny as heck.

Of course it would help if Atlanta actually owned a salt truck and a snow plow... :grin2:
I always have to laugh when I meet folks that have moved from up north and make fun of Atlanta winter precipitation but then get caught in it. It's nothing like what occurs north of here. There is no way to properly prepare for ice that forms prior to snow falling. And theres no way to prepare for what snow that does fall, then melts into a glaze and then promptly freezes again. I welcome you to come hang out here and give it a whirl :grin2:!

OP, I have loved my H6 OBW as long as I have had mine. This March it turned 295Kmi and 17 years old. It has been all over North Georgia taking me to the most remote mountain biking and hiking trails we have.

Here in N. Ga, we also have one of the best independent Subaru shops in the Southeast! AllProSubie has kept my 01 in top shape for a long time! Good luck with many more years of ownership!

-r

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,108 Posts
Of course it would help if Atlanta actually owned a salt truck and a snow plow...
Returning from a Colorado ski trip, I once got snowed-in in Boise City, OK ... a region of bare grasslands right out at the tip of the Oklahoma Panhandle. The storm was bad enough to kill cattle caught out in the open and then bury them in drifting snow. But back in the 1960s there was exactly one operational snow plow in the entire state of Oklahoma. Ski Boise City! :)

Reactions: p_rod

·
Registered
Tungsten 2015 3.6R Outback
589 Posts
I have had my 2015 3.6 for 3 years and 40,000 miles now. The OB has taken me from Death Valley where the temperature reached 117 degrees one day to being stuck in a snowstorm in the Siskiyou mountains in northern California which closed Interstate 5 behind us. Luckily, the staff at the three chain control checkpoints we came across simply waved us through when they saw our OB. In addition, the OB has easily handled the many gravel and dirt roads, which were often more mud than dirt, that we have been on.

I have had absolutely no problems with the OB. The 3.6 gives me enough power for my needs. Moreover, it is a smooth and quiet engine. I have found the seats and the car to be comfortable enough for a 6,500 mile road trip last Fall. Other than routine maintenance and a couple of minor recalls, I have not encountered any problems.

The Eyesight and the adaptive cruise control have been nice features. Heck, I cannot imagine having a car without those features now. The cargo area has been great for hauling things around. One complaint I have is the fact that at the time I bought the OB, I wanted Eyesight but it came bundled with the moonroof and navigation, both of which I rarely use. Oh well, so it goes. Other than this, I am very happy with the OB. In fact, I would say that the OB has been better than the two Volvo wagons I had before getting the OB. I like the OB so much that we will almost certainly get another one once the 6th gen comes out.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring; 3.6R
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to thank everyone who wrote a comment about my one year 'anniversary' with my Outback.

I haven't logged on to this site for awhile and I had forgotten on what a nice, friendly place this is. So many forums out there now have become so cynical, so negative, that I have all but stopped logging on to them anymore. But this site just keep chugging along so I promise I'll be visiting much more from now on.

Just scanning down the threads a few minutes ago made me realize there is a ton of information here so almost any question/concern/etc I'd ever have about my Outback could be easily answered here without all the crappola you'd see on other forums.

And to the one responder concerning the absolute panic mode ATL goes into if snow is even mentioned in a weather forecast, all I can do is laugh and agree with him :) From the Snowmageddon incident a few years ago where tens of thousands of people were stranded on the freeways and roads in and around ATL they have brought up their game a lot since then with snow plows, tanker truck that can coat the roadways with brine to sand 'stations' all around the area and the ability to get to it and get it spread out I must give some props to the local governments for addressing the problem and at least trying to get better at handling it.

Just make sure if you are ever in the area when snow is in the forecast that BEFORE that happens, have these three things stocked in your home BEFORE the snow falls.

1) Milk
2) Bread
3) Toilet paper

I can guarantee you that if you do not have these things on hand, finding it after a snowstorm comes (and goes) it'll be another week before you can find it again in any store again! :) Why these three thing? I have no clue. :cool:

Cheers!

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts