Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, everyone chills!!! Not trying to start a new round again!!!!

But in the pages of posts someone ( i think it is hunny bunny, sorry too lazy to do a search thing) mentioned he is working on the CNG conversion? How is that work coming along? what the diff btw this and LPG powered car?
pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
I'll be curious about how to safely stow the tank, where, and how much cargo room it will use up.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
I'll be curious about how to safely stow the tank, where, and how much cargo room it will use up.
I believe that it goes where the spare tire is. So, you would have to give up the spare tire. My only concern is that it is behind the rear axle. That means that the tank and the piping may be vulnerability either to leak or explosion in a rear end collision. According to him, Hunny bunny apparently tested the tank by shooting bullets thru it.

Still, for me, i would be very hesitant to install something that has not been officially crash tested. You don't want your Outback to become a Ford Pinto. In addition, the loss of the spare tire may be a problem for those who venture off the pavement and/or distant towns far from civilization.

I think that i will wait for diesel or hybrid before installing something aftermaket such as CNG from a small time seller.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
I'm curious about the valve adjustments on the proposed conversion. I flirted with the idea of converting to a parallel system on my '92 (just for kicks) but ultimately bailed on the idea mostly because I didn't want to futz with the valves/seals. The devil is in the details and I haven't begun to research the gen-4, let alone the changes to the '13.

The alternative is to just buy one, especially if you prefer the 4-cylinder CVT.

http://www.subaru.se/lineup/boxer-cng/tekniska-data/specifications

1 - 6 of 6 Posts