Subaru Outback Forums banner

561 - 580 of 616 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
In the middle of the dash board ( 2021 Onyx XT)there is holes suggesting a speaker can be mounted there, can a subwoofer be installed instead ?
No there's not enough room to install a subwoofer there. That hole is intended for the center channel in the Harman Kardon systems.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx - Black
13 Posts
The AHH harness worked great, and color matched the metra 9 color conductor wire perfectly.
tied in the separate pigtail to feed signal for the sub leg.
View attachment 493532
And all together the harness turned out great. Sleeved it, and shrink wrapped, and it's ready to install.
Where did you locate the amp? Under the driver's seat? How long did the whole thing wind up to reach?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx - Black
13 Posts
Harness started for the planned install:

1609857190911.png

Full setup will consist of:
  • Dayton DSP-408 Digital Signal Processor
  • Pioneer GM-DX975 5 channel amp
  • Focal 165AS fronts
  • Infinity Reference REF-6532 rears
  • Kicker 46TL7T102 10" shallow mount sub
  • Misc sound quality improvements (sound deadening, fast rings, etc)

1609857449255.png

Plan is to run high level inputs into the DSP and tune the EQ using a UMIK-1 and REW

·
Registered
2020 Outback -Onyx XT -Magnetite grey
87 Posts
Where did you locate the amp? Under the driver's seat? How long did the whole thing wind up to reach?
I ended up building my amp board under the front passenger seat. I don't remember the total length, but the way I estimated the first time got me fairly close. I ran the 9wire from the top of the display down to the center console, across the center console, then down to where I was going to mount the amp. I think it was about 6 inches longer than I ended up needing, then when I spliced in the molex for my key, it left me with about a foot and a half longer than I needed. But that had the added benefit of being able to cable manage under the seat and tie it on to the amp board away from the power cable coming in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heading to a car stereo install shop today. I’ve got the non H/K set up. From reading over the different threads it seems like adding a pair of tweeters to the dash area, upgrading the (driver and passenger) door speakers, and then adding an amp to drive them is the best bang for the buck.

Is the assumption that upgrading the back door speakers is less of a need a correct one?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
To my surprise (or ignorance) I didn’t realize the RF upgrade was only the front door speakers and amp. But, my kids have told me in the back that the sound is “awesome” and better than my Forester, but I did have the stock base audio system in the Forester.

If I was running Uber or had adults back there regularly, I would consider the upgrade. But for my spot in the car, it sounds great even without the Kicker upgrade, but I will plan to do that anyway as well!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx, Magnetite Gray, no sunroof or NAV
35 Posts
Welp.....today was my rescheduled appointment for KEY amp install. I was hoping to be able to report on my impressions of it, but the chosen installer flaked out on me. He "wasn't comfortable" with doing further (he sold and installed 6 Memphis speakers for me) business with me.....apparently sending him links to pertinent KEY install/set up posts here and then inquiring as to whether he had read them was tantamount to (sic) "not trusting his many years of experience" and his fragile ego was insulted. Please note that although he is a Kicker dealer, he had never heard of the KEY 200.4 when I first inquired as to purchase and installation.....plus - he claimed he couldn't get it and that I had to (which I did)......and other red flags as the process went along.....anyways - rant over and sorry, but no further news for those of you considering the KEY amp.

I'm considering tackling the job myself - I've installed head units and speakers before - but I've reached the point where I'm both willing and able to pay a pro to do the job for me, so I doubt I'll go that route. I have only 2 choices for installers near me, but the guys down the street seemed to be willing to work with me (and sympathized with chuckles and rolled eyes re: my final interaction with installer A), but they're booked solid for months with remote starter installs, so I'm going to have to sit on the unit for quite some time. WAH! TBC? Hoping so.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
30 Posts
After a month with my RF upgrade, I've decided to replace the front two speakers. I didn't feel the front two RF speakers were good enough and I think I could do better for the front two speakers. I went to my local audio shop and listened to a lot of different speakers. I was probably there for an hour and I finally decided with the Kicker CS 6x9 series.

I've noticed that the Kickers were significantly heavier and it had a much bigger magnet. I believe these speakers are rated for 150W whereas the RF speakers are 50W. I'm was hoping that RF Amp would better compliment my Kicker speakers.

After installation, I've noticed the Bass and Mids are lot cleaner. I had my GF play her music in my car and she also noticed it sounded better than before. I'm pretty sure it's only going to get better over time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
After installation, I've noticed the Bass and Mids are lot cleaner. I had my GF play her music in my car and she also noticed it sounded better than before. I'm pretty sure it's only going to get better over time.
Very interesting - so despite the DSP of the RF amp being "tuned" for the RF speakers, it sounds better with the Kickers. If I'm not mistaken that's the woofer from the Kicker Component Series KICKER | 6x9" CS Components

Did you use the kit tweeters and crossover, or are you using the Subaru Kicker tweeters with it?

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
30 Posts
Very interesting - so despite the DSP of the RF amp being "tuned" for the RF speakers, it sounds better with the Kickers. If I'm not mistaken that's the woofer from the Kicker Component Series KICKER | 6x9" CS Components

Did you use the kit tweeters and crossover, or are you using the Subaru Kicker tweeters with it?
When I had my Crosstrek, My GF and I were spoiled with JL speakers setup (Amp, sub, etc.). After we got our Outback, we noticed our audio system still lacking despite having RF upgrade. I've incrementally upgraded the system (tweeter, sound deadner, etc.) and I think replacing the front two speakers with Kickers helped make our Outback sound a bit better. Overall, I think this would suffice our audio needs until we get next vehicle.

I'm using the Subaru Kicker Tweeters since they were plug in play.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’m a new owner of a 21 Premium with no sound upgrade. Just to clarify, if I order this kit from Crutchfield is there any reason to order the Subaru part Kicker tweeter?
Nope, you wouldn't need to order the kicker tweeters. The tweeters in this kit will fill in those holes. You'll just have to snake a wire from the crossover, through the door boot up to the dash corner.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,092 Posts
After a month with my RF upgrade, I've decided to replace the front two speakers. I didn't feel the front two RF speakers were good enough and I think I could do better for the front two speakers. I went to my local audio shop and listened to a lot of different speakers. I was probably there for an hour and I finally decided with the Kicker CS 6x9 series.

View attachment 501860

View attachment 501861

I've noticed that the Kickers were significantly heavier and it had a much bigger magnet. I believe these speakers are rated for 150W whereas the RF speakers are 50W. I'm was hoping that RF Amp would better compliment my Kicker speakers.

This is the first time I've seen a picture of the RF "Upgrade" door speakers. I have to say, I'm underwhelmed with their overall construction and tiny magnet. They look pretty cheesy considering the price tag!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with the other folks. The kit would work, but you'd be splitting the source from the doors to drive the dash speakers. The dash has it's own feed. You'd effectively be turning a 6 channel audio system into a 4. Part of the reason several of us went with the kicker Subaru swap, was that they were plug and play. With out also amping the doors, personally I feel you'd be underwhelmed. Yes, if you wanted to, that kit would work, but there are better solutions for the same money. -I should have clarified my initial response.

561 - 580 of 616 Posts