Subaru Outback Forums banner

601 - 616 of 616 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
26 Posts
IMPORTANT NOTE!!! THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT WILL NOT WORK IF THE KICKER EQUILIZER IS SET TO ENABLED!!! YOU WILL LOOSE ALL CONTROL FUNCTIONS TO THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT AND STEARING WHEEL CONTROLS...
I have installed the Key in my 2020 Premium as well. Kicker EQ on works fine with the factory HU.

When I first set it up, I had an issue where volume control wouldn’t work from the HU or steering wheel. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected and everything worked fine afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed. I guess I'll order the AC-LGD and see if that fixes the issue. Appreciate the help guys. This has been quite the learning experience to say the least...

Side note - If you are using the LC7i you should take advantage of the GTO (great turn on) auto sensing signal option on the device. I was running 9 wire and figured I would use one of the 12v accessory wires from the 10 pin adapter assuming it would be more reliable. I noticed that the signal will cut immediately when you turn the car off rather than keeping the stereo on until you open the door. I like the music continuing until I exit the vehicle so I'll be switching to using the GTO function. Figured I'd share that bit of knowledge I learned through this whole process.
You ever figure out the issue with the LC7i ... the kicker Key 200.4 did the same thing with the Kicker EQ switch enabled... the head unit lost control functionality and all sorts of stuff went haywire...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have installed the Key in my 2020 Premium as well. Kicker EQ on works fine with the factory HU.

When I first set it up, I had an issue where volume control wouldn’t work from the HU or steering wheel. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected and everything worked fine afterwards.
I Haven't switched it back to Kicker EQ to see if that works again ...did you loose the sound EQ tab in the head unit when you switched to the kicker EQ...How do you even control the kicker EQ settings???

·
Registered
11 Posts

Did you add a SUB? What model and where did you mount it if you did...the Alpine R S69.2 sound great but no lows they start at 60HZ to 40kHZ and they said to disconnect the dash tweeters which I've not done yet as I added the kicker tweets...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
26 Posts
Did you add a SUB? What model and where did you mount it if you did...the Alpine R S69.2 sound great but no lows they start at 60HZ to 40kHZ and they said to disconnect the dash tweeters which I've not done yet as I added the kicker tweets...
My HU EQ still works as normal. I basically leave it flat. You can’t control the EQ with the Key, just use the mic to let it set itself. Seems pretty spot on to me.

I do have a sub. I bought a Kicker 8” hideaway that I mounted under the passenger seat. It’s not nearly enough power and I plan to one day swap with a larger sub driven by its own amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice I'll mess with the EQ setting tomorrow and see if it makes a difference or even works...This forum has been awesome!!! I always hated the audio of all the Subaru Outbacks...I gave my 2014 Premium to my son and installed a Alpine ILX650-450 amp and entry kicker speakers and a 12" sub his system is way better than even mine as he has the Apple car play built into the head unit...Now if only the seat heaters weren't complete garbage compared to the 2014 seats...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice I'll mess with the EQ setting tomorrow and see if it makes a difference or even works...This forum has been awesome!!! I always hated the audio of all the Subaru Outbacks...I gave my 2014 Premium to my son and installed a Alpine ILX650-450 amp and entry kicker speakers and a 12" sub his system is way better than even mine as he has the Apple car play built into the head unit...Now if only the seat heaters weren't complete garbage compared to the 2014 seats...
I was able to change the Kicker EQ back to EN (Enabled On ) and set Auto Turn on to DC, fader to On, Compression OFF, Bi-AMP OFF , and Time Delay to DF (Off) with no issues in the head unit...I can't explain what the original issue was and fortunately it isn't present now... ran through setup again and it sounds great.. night and day difference when you switch the Key on and off with the button on the cable...need a sub now...looking for an under seat... will wait till they go on sale...Thanks Everyone for the feedback...

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off great thread.

I got my 2021 Premium last week and was frustrated on trying to tune the standard speakers. My wife has a 2020 Volvo XC90 with a HK system and trying to get somewhere close to that.

Thanks to @Giantry and Crutchfield I went with the Infinity Speakers (9633IX Front, 6532EX Rear, 3032CFX). These 3-1/2” tweeters line up perfectly but for some reason the passenger was really tight to get in. These come with a 196Hz crossover and cut off any excessive bass.

At first I had all settings off and flat and found the tweeters way too loud. I adjusted my settings to +6, -2, -4 and it sounds perfect. Also using the Spotify EQ to fine tune. The bass cleaned up and the highs do not distort at higher volumes. The rear speakers did not make a huge difference but the front 6x9 speakers and 3-1/2” speakers are $$$.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #609 (Edited)
You and I have different dash speakers but (coincidentally?) I also have my tweeters at -4. People might think it's not high enough but if you start from absolute minimum treble with mid and bass flat, adjust volume to listening level, then just stepwise up the treble, there's a noticeable difference between each step and -4 is not dull and -3 is just a tad bright. This gives full rich sound with a downward treble tilt. From there once treble is established the mid and bass can be tweaked. That process provided the best sound for me. What we both have in common is that we both have tweeters (coaxials/triaxials in the doors) and in the dash (coaxials for you plain tweets for me). In a certain way it makes sense that the treble needs attenuation when the OEM speaker is just a big woofer.

Also found that the "dynamic beat enhancer" (I think +3) is the only DSP that improves the sound - have sound restorer and virtual bass off.

·
Registered
2021 Outback premium i also own a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport
13 Posts
Just installed the kicker/Subaru tweeters in my 2021 premium. Used a plastic trim tool i had to remove the grilles. Also a mini ratchet with a Phillips bit. The main goal was not to bugger up my brand new car. Happy to say all went well. As others have mentioned, using the square holes works with the new speakers. The screws never tighten completely, though. Also, many may know this already but I didn’t: to disconnect the wires insert a tiny screwdriver in the hole on the back of the housing. Then the white piece will pop right off.

By the way the new speakers sound very good!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Mine are scheduled to arrive today or tomorrow. Where is the best place to use the trim tool to release it?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
Mine are scheduled to arrive today or tomorrow. Where is the best place to use the trim tool to release it?
I started in the front closest to you, then moved to the side. It's not finnicky and you can pop out and put back the grille probably 100 times without breaking it.

The first time I removed them, I carefully used my fingers to push down on the soft dash in front of the grille to expose the gap to insert my smooth tool. My biggest fear is scratching the soft dash, so if your trim tool has sharp edges I'd sand them down or something. I used something similar to a smooth dull butterknife.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Great. I bought a set of plastic trim tools a few weeks ago when I'd installed the AutoStop Eliminator. I think they'll do the trick here, just wasn't sure of any weird gotchas with the clips.

I will hopefully get a chance to do it today, but both kids have sports stuff going on tonight, so I'll have to play that one by ear. I'd rather do it in sunlight, so I may postpone until tomorrow morning! I suppose I'll try the square holes first, and if they don't feel right, I'll do the washer trick.

Thanks again, I have really high (hopefully not overhyped) hopes for this one. I was getting a ton of bass, relatively speaking, thanks to the RF upgrade. I'm hoping these help with the midrange so I can actually hear some vocals.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
These do help with midrange, but they are only tweeters so they can only do so much - I think the Kicker tweeters have a wider (extends lower) frequency response than the OEM plastic ultrasonic emitters. To my ears they add clarity body and definition to vocals, but I wouldn't say that they generate rich warm forward vocals so do temper your expectations.

601 - 616 of 616 Posts