Subaru Outback Forums banner
781 - 800 of 810 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
10 Posts
Might be a pretty dumb question but I purchased the Infinity Reference 9630cx component speakers for my OB wilderness and am confused about the install of the crossover that is included. I don't have an amp (probably wont end up getting one unless its REALLY worth it) and I feel like its not really necessary with the install. Is it ok to leave this out? Or am I a moron? I have the Kilmat covering the rear trunk area under the spare tire, I removed the plastic barrier on the rear doors and covered them with the kilmat and mounted the Infinity Reference 6532ex's in the rear doors, and am sorta convinced to get a kicker 46hs10 to hide somewheres in the car.
Links for Reference on the... reference speakers..

·
Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness
9 Posts
Might be a pretty dumb question but I purchased the Infinity Reference 9630cx component speakers for my OB wilderness and am confused about the install of the crossover that is included. I don't have an amp (probably wont end up getting one unless its REALLY worth it) and I feel like its not really necessary with the install. Is it ok to leave this out? Or am I a moron? I have the Kilmat covering the rear trunk area under the spare tire, I removed the plastic barrier on the rear doors and covered them with the kilmat and mounted the Infinity Reference 6532ex's in the rear doors, and am sorta convinced to get a kicker 46hs10 to hide somewheres in the car.
Links for Reference on the... reference speakers..
I believe you could risk blowing up the tweeters if you choose to install them without the crossover. You can find some discussion on this topic here.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
10 Posts
I believe you could risk blowing up the tweeters if you choose to install them without the crossover. You can find some discussion on this topic here.
Good read! Looks like I’ll be on the phone with crutchfield on Monday getting this sorted.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5
171 Posts
Good read! Looks like I’ll be on the phone with crutchfield on Monday getting this sorted.
You want the crossover for sure. It's job is to limit the signal to the appropriate range for the speaker, so your tweeters only get the higher frequencies, and the woofer only gets the lower frequencies.

Some sets come with smaller inline crossovers for each speaker, rather than a larger crossover meant to serve both the tweeter and woofer. (where you have one input and 2 outputs). With inline crossovers you don't need to run extra wiring from the door up to the tweeter like you would with a traditional crossover.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
8 Posts
I'll be replacing the tweeters in my 22 Wilderness with the Subaru Kicker replacements and installing Alpine R-S69.2 in the front doors. The Alpine instructions contain a warning stating that since the R-S69.2 has a high performance tweeter you must disconnect any pre-existing tweeters connected in parallel to the R-S69.2 to avoid damage. I understand the existing tweeters in the corners of the dash are wired back to the head unit but that wouldn't necessarily mean they're not connected in parallel with the new tweeters in the door speakers I'm installing. I suppose I could get my multimeter out to test for continuity between the dash and door wiring but does anyone here already know for sure whether or not they're connected in parallel? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
I have the same speakers and tweeters and there's no problem running them that way for almost 2 years - nothing has blown and I do not think they are parallel but if you can check with a multimeter it would be informative to get your result.

Reactions: LAU

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
8 Posts
I have the same speakers and tweeters and there's no problem running them that way for almost 2 years - nothing has blown and I do not think they are parallel but if you can check with a multimeter it would be informative to get your result.
Thanks....that's encouraging. I seem to recall you or someone else having excessive treble after such an install, requiring -3 or -4 on the equalizer to pull the highs back down a bit. If that's the case, could it be that adding the 2-ways in the door (possibly with a parallel connection at the head unit) dropped the impedance leading to the loudness? More likely, I'm guessing, is that they're not in parallel and the replacements are just a lot better and the issue is with the head unit's digitally audio processing that attempt to put lipstick on a pig.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I still can't figure out wtf they won't offer the Wilderness with, at minimum, the RF audio package. Ideally, this should be a candidate to upsell to a HK option.

Subaru could have easily won another $1500+ from me if they offered HK Audio and Heated Steering Wheel options. Just don’t lump them in with the moonroof!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Thanks....that's encouraging. I seem to recall you or someone else having excessive treble after such an install, requiring -3 or -4 on the equalizer to pull the highs back down a bit. If that's the case, could it be that adding the 2-ways in the door (possibly with a parallel connection at the head unit) dropped the impedance leading to the loudness? More likely, I'm guessing, is that they're not in parallel and the replacements are just a lot better and the issue is with the head unit's digitally audio processing that attempt to put lipstick on a pig.
It's true that I had to set the treble to -3 or -4 but that's because I prefer sound that has a downward tilt with treble lowish. Because of that, I have considered whether or not the Kenwood 2.75" mid tweeter might be more to my liking, but the Kicker tweeter is plug and play, no cutting wires, soldering, and at the time, harness adapters for the tweeter weren't readily available. Now they are available so any tweeter that fits in the dash can be plug and play as long as it has its own high pass capacitor or whatever. If you can check whether or not the tweeter is indeed wired to the front doors it would be interesting. If they are connected, then you might need a high pass filter (capacitor) for the tweeter - the Kicker/Subaru one has that soldered in I think. If they aren't connected then you can probably just run a tweeter without a filter.

But the Kicker/Subaru tweeter definitely adds clarity and dynamics to the sound and I appreciate that very much, and I am not dissatisfied with the sound, so even if I am interested in experimenting with the Kenwood tweeters I don't have much motivation other than just curiosity.

I want someone to try the Kenwood tweeters and get back to us, but the Kicker/Subaru tweeter is a known good one, so it's hard for me to recommend the kenwood one. Others have used Focal and other speakers with good results also so there's nothing magic about the Kicker ones - they're just good tweeters that plug right in.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness, Primative plates, Focal speakers
94 Posts
I'm almost 10,000 miles into my Focal OBW upgrade - ISU 690's in the front doors, ICU 165's in the rear doors.

Really LOVE the front ISU 690's, but the rear ICU 165 suffer from a lack of excitement with the tweeters being at ankle position. I want to revisit this in Spring and maybe check out the high-efficiency JL's with (hopefully) a better tweeter mount to go high up on the back doors.

While I'd be entertained by one of the great self-amplified box subwoofers for the cargo area, we move too much stuff in and out (and often stuff it 100%) and don't want to hassle with moving the box in and out. The bass on the 6x9 woofers in the front door is full, and not lacking, but some crazy down-low warmth is ear candy :)

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness Edition
4 Posts
If you installed the Rockford Fosgate yourself, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's exactly the same process.
Update - received and installed the ISU 690s - much better than the originals. I still find the tweeter sound a bit on the treble heavy side. I have been playing around with all of the options and have shut most of them off (virtual bass, sound restoration) which I find improves the sound. The install was fairly straight forward, I was almost fooled by the triple output (car, display, ground) from the crossover but found a helpful youtube which solved that - what have others done with the display output? Now looking for options for the backseat - I noticed one user has installed RCX-165s, any other ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now looking for options for the backseat - I noticed one user has installed RCX-165s, any other ideas?
I just (today) put ICU 690s upfront (already had the Subaru Kicker Tweeter upgrade) and RCX-165s in the rear. From like 15min of playing with the eq and listening to music, I find them to do well in the rear, but I haven't had much time with them. Obviously, this sounds WAY better than the stock speaker setup. For the record, I have an 2021 Onyx with the stock headunit (ie: no Rockford upgrade).

·
Registered
'22 OBW
89 Posts
Got my tweeters installed. For anyone looking to do it, a 1/4” bit ratchet is pretty handy. Especially if there’s a thumb-wheel on it that you can use to get the screw going. I used a 25mm bit. A 50mm bit would have been perfect, but no biggie. I’ve got like 8 of these things floating around. This particular one is from Prestacycle…a team sponsor. Cheap and reliable. And a decent sized handle.

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
10 Posts
So my current setup is the infinity reference 9630cx component speakers with the crossover now properly installed. The rear speakers are the infinity reference 6532-Ex (non component since I don’t want to cut into anything to mount the tweeters). The sound quality is remarkable. I put sound deadening in all the doors, trunk area and will eventually cover the door cards themselves since they do rattle a bit with louder bass songs. I fear the head unit is a bit… lacking with the speakers now so I have the infinity reference 3004 multichannel amplifier coming in this week to get a professional to install when I can. Will let you know the difference there. It’ll hopefully end my struggles with this sound system! I’m coming from the 9 speaker alpine system in a 2019 grand cherokee trail hawk and then the 2018 Bose sound system in a GMC Sierra, so I’m just trying to get this on par with those!

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
After reading **** near everything I pulled the trigger. My goals were to have strong and balanced sound with an easy install for a good price. I ended up with Kicker CSCs for $100 "scratch & dent" at Crutchfield, and the Subaru/Kicker tweeters for $70 at Amazon Warehouse. $170 all in is something I can't argue with. And if they aren't pretty, I can't see them anyway.

Summarizing what I've read for people who want something stupid simple:
  • The Subaru/Kicker tweeters are good
  • Plenty of 6x9 speakers fit with the right Metra adapter
  • Rear door speakers aren't nearly as important to upgrade as the front door and tweeters
  • It's recommended to buy from Crutchfield because they include everything you need for the install and good documentation and customer service
  • Focals are real nice, if you want to drop the money. If you buy from Crutchfield, tweeter adapter brackets are included.
  • If you're new to this, keep an eye on stuff that requires crossovers. I didn't feel like messing with it so intentionally bought speakers that didn't require it.
  • If you want to get a little more serious, the Kicker Key amp will really clean up your sound.

Some other good front door/tweeter options I've seen in this thread:
  • Kicker CSC $115. This is what I bought, and added the Subaru/Kicker tweeters
  • Kicker CS $180- Good value, includes separate tweeters with adapter plates. Requires the crossovers, the Crutchfield rep said it takes some effort and is wired to both the woofers and tweeters
  • Alpine R69 $249 SilverOnyx runs his without the crossover edit: nah he has coaxial alpines
  • Infinity 9360 combo - $279
  • Focal 690 $320 - everyone's favorite

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 ·
Clarification: My alpine is a coaxial so it doesn't have a separate outboard crossover.

Reactions: bakapaka and Baggss

·
Registered
'22 OBW
89 Posts
****, $70 via Amz Warehouse. Cheapest I ever saw was $84. Solid deal.

So far, in the week.5 I’ve had mine in, the tweets are pretty substantial upgrade. A good bit more clarity. If I wasn’t so scared of taking door panels off, I’d do those, too.

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
****, $70 via Amz Warehouse. Cheapest I ever saw was $84. Solid deal.

So far, in the week.5 I’ve had mine in, the tweets are pretty substantial upgrade. A good bit more clarity. If I wasn’t so scared of taking door panels off, I’d do those, too.
To be fair, they're in "used - acceptable" condition so they might be terrible. But hey, free return policy and if they work fine they don't have to be pretty

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
49 Posts
After reading **** near everything I pulled the trigger. My goals were to have strong and balanced sound with an easy install for a good price. I ended up with Kicker CSCs for $100 "scratch & dent" at Crutchfield, and the Subaru/Kicker tweeters for $70 at Amazon Warehouse. $170 all in is something I can't argue with. And if they aren't pretty, I can't see them anyway.

Summarizing what I've read for people who want something stupid simple:
  • The Subaru/Kicker tweeters are good
  • Plenty of 6x9 speakers fit with the right Metra adapter
  • Rear door speakers aren't nearly as important to upgrade as the front door and tweeters
  • It's recommended to buy from Crutchfield because they include everything you need for the install and good documentation and customer service
  • Focals are real nice, if you want to drop the money. If you buy from Crutchfield, tweeter adapter brackets are included.
  • If you're new to this, keep an eye on stuff that requires crossovers. I didn't feel like messing with it so intentionally bought speakers that didn't require it.
  • If you want to get a little more serious, the Kicker Key amp will really clean up your sound.

That's very helpful, thank you. I want something stupid simple too. I already bought and installed the tweeters. That helps a LOT. That takes it from a really poor sounding system to acceptable. But I'm going to add those Kicker front speakers too and hope that gives a similar improvement. I found that I have an $80 Crutchfield Rewards credit that I'd forgotten about, so that covers a lot of it.

Are you adding Dynamat or other sound deadening too? I figure while I have the door panels off it's probably worth it. That's a little cheaper at Amazon.

781 - 800 of 810 Posts