Subaru Outback Forums banner
801 - 812 of 812 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
I'm undecided. A lot of people have added it, but I haven't read anyone saying that it actually made a difference (aside from maybe killing off a rattle if you happened to have one). Because I'm doing this very casually and not as an audiophile I'll probably try without. If I get rattles, worst case scenario I take off the trim, unscrew the speaker, and put some in later. I'm really not sure how much difference it makes in this car otherwise; people still complain about boomy bass etc due to the lack of thickness in the door sheet metal. If anyone has experience to talk about the real world difference I'd hear, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my current setup is the infinity reference 9630cx component speakers with the crossover now properly installed. The rear speakers are the infinity reference 6532-Ex (non component since I don’t want to cut into anything to mount the tweeters). The sound quality is remarkable. I put sound deadening in all the doors, trunk area and will eventually cover the door cards themselves since they do rattle a bit with louder bass songs. I fear the head unit is a bit… lacking with the speakers now so I have the infinity reference 3004 multichannel amplifier coming in this week to get a professional to install when I can. Will let you know the difference there. It’ll hopefully end my struggles with this sound system! I’m coming from the 9 speaker alpine system in a 2019 grand cherokee trail hawk and then the 2018 Bose sound system in a GMC Sierra, so I’m just trying to get this on par with those!
I also recently got component speakers and I'm unsure where to install the crossover. Did you install the crossover in the door using the wire going to the front door speaker? and then run new wire up to the tweeters? I don't know car audio very well and am a bit confused if this is the right way to do it or not.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
This is why I avoid speakers with outboard crossovers especially when the tweeters are mounted in the dash.

If you are going to mount the tweeters in the door then you take the speaker wire in the door, attach it to the crossover, hook up the speaker and tweeter to the crossover, and secure the crossover in the door somewhere. The tweeters can be surface mounted on the door or you might need to cut a hole to flush mount them or however you want to mount them.

If you are going to mount the tweeters in the dash, you can put the crossover under the dash, and run the speaker wires into the door and the tweeter wires up the dash.

You can look at youtube videos of component speaker and crossover installs to see how it's done in different circumstances.

Reactions: mccorms

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
10 Posts
I also recently got component speakers and I'm unsure where to install the crossover. Did you install the crossover in the door using the wire going to the front door speaker? and then run new wire up to the tweeters? I don't know car audio very well and am a bit confused if this is the right way to do it or not.
I actually did a bit of a hack in that regard. I put in bass blockers for the tweeters for now so that they are protected from any unwanted frequencies. They just get put in place from the car input to the blockers to the tweeters. I put the crossovers for the woofers in the bottom of the door temporarily mounted on basically a 3M stick mount so that they can remove them easily when installing the amp (when the shop has time, apparently now is the time to get audio work done). When they take over the install at the shop they said that they would mount the crossovers in the cabin. I bought mine without asking crutchfield about the install process, got really apprehensive about removing dash pieces other than the tweeter cover and then made the call that if I was going to do it I'll do it right and get a certified shop to do the amp and crossover proper install since these speakers are truly impressive.

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
44 Posts
Finished my simple install today, Kicker CSCs and Subaru/Kicker tweeters
Observations: sounds MUCH better, the tweeters really do cut down on the tinny sound. After all the speakers were in my first thought was "wow, flat EQ actually sounds good" Very easy install, each speaker takes 10 minutes or less.
I'm actually a little disappointed in the coaxial CSC 6x9s, it's got some booming thump to it, but it's not a very rich low-end. Seems like some frequencies aren't very present. I might go with a nicer speaker next time. I can't complain too much though, it was $100 and an easy install. It sounds so much better than the stock speakers. It actually has some mid range now. I might never change it.

Speaking of, Crutchfield scratch-and-dent looks brand new. One of the plastic bags had an abrasion on it, the speakers looked fine.
And behold: Amazon Warehouse Used "Acceptable" grade:

Camera lens Camera accessory Finger Lens Cameras & optics

See anything wrong with it? Yeah me neither, and it was $70 for the pair. Buy from Amazon Warehouse and Crutchfield scratch-and-dent whenever you can.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
The head unit cripples the low end so it's not the fault of your Coaxials. There's a a suck-out at 120hz, a hump at 60hz so the bass sounds one-note-ish. Yes it's better with aftermarket speakers but still quite colored. I think the best solution if you really want to make the most of the system is something like the Kicker KEY 200.4 - but the thing doesn't have a sub-out which would make it almost ideal if it did have one.

Reactions: bakapaka

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT AGM
2 Posts
Good day!

I'm about to install new Kicker speakers in my 2020 ONYX and am looking for speaker wiring diagram for +/- polarity color codes? I'm going blind searching threads and google... I've started on the front passenger door and have purple and grey. The way the speaker adapter harness from Crutchfield connects the black that I'm assuming is negative connects to grey and white I assume is positive connects to purple. Since these Kickers are 3 way I'm going to use the provided passive crossover. Just want to make sure the impedance is correct.

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
Crutchfield is usually good at making sure the parts they sell have a compatible impedance if you used their application guide and I would trust that the adapter is the correct polarity unless the two that you have are mismatched - the connection to the speaker is different sized to make sure you don't reverse polarity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day!

I'm about to install new Kicker speakers in my 2020 ONYX and am looking for speaker wiring diagram for +/- polarity color codes? I'm going blind searching threads and google... I've started on the front passenger door and have purple and grey. The way the speaker adapter harness from Crutchfield connects the black that I'm assuming is negative connects to grey and white I assume is positive connects to purple. Since these Kickers are 3 way I'm going to use the provided passive crossover. Just want to make sure the impedance is correct.

Crutchfield sent a vehicle wiring guide as part of their documentation when I bought speakers for my 2020 Premium. I'm assuming it's the same, but I can't say that with 100% confidence:
Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

·
Registered
68 Posts
They’re 3-way, so a coaxial? If so, wouldn’t they have a built in crossover for the tweeters inside the woofer. Also the Crutchfield adapters should have a small and large metal plug that will attach to the speaker terminals only one way, so there’s no need to know the color for positive and negative.

Good day!

·
Registered
68 Posts
For those that have done the kicker tweeters and likely the kicker door speakers, many have commented about harshness of the highs. It’s been a month or two and mine are well broken in. With that I’ve noticed less treble over that time and am curious if anyone else has had to readjust there EQ slightly, again, to compensate.

801 - 812 of 812 Posts