Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
If the Wilderness was an option, I likely would have chosen that over the Onyx. I like being up higher (like the Forester) but I like the wagon form better for practicality. It would be nice if they had a permanent off road roof basket option like the Toyota TRD models do.

Gas mileage is what it is, you shouldn’t buy a Subaru Turbo with the idea in your mind of hypermiling.

However now that the Solterra has been announced, I am hoping that is a success. I would love to see hybrids and electrics be “options” for those consumers that value that above all else.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
StarTex was hot today in the 94F heat and sun. I might have to remote start in the summer.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I like my Onyx very much but if I can trade in for an Wilderness without too much of a hit between new sale price and trade in value. I’m reasonable, I know I’ve had my car 7 months and counting, so I’m not looking to “break even”. I think I leased my last car for around $350/mo so I’d expect reasonable to be around a trade in value of $350 x months off the purchase price excluding fees.

Example $35k selling price without fees/taxes minus $350 x 10 months would be a trade in credit of $3500, so a trade in price of 31500.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Tough call, BUT, if you're more on-road highway miles than adventuring, I'd choose the Onyx, for the better mileage. The Onyx by all reports is plenty quick, and the CVT gearing change on the Wilderness really hits the mileage pretty good. Now, if your constantly going up trails to camp sites and the like, taking off-road excursions, the Wilderness may be the better option. Lets face it, most 4x4s and SUVs, the Outback included, rarely venture off the beaten path.

I'm somewhat partial in the looks department, as I find the Onyx the better looker, sorry, just not a fan of the black cladding going up to the lamp assemblies, both front and back. I'm personally not rock crawling, and would take an Onyx, add the A/T tires, and maybe a 1.5" or so lift, but that's me. All the Wilderness Editions I've seen locally are $42k & above stickers, or a few thousand more than the typical Onyx, which would pay for the mods, but that's me.
From what I have watched and read, it appears that the mileage is closer to a 1 mpg difference. Which could be due to the tires or extra weight from the guards and cladding. It appears to be minimal.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Still torn. The price delta is smaller now that I’ve removed some accessories I can install myself down the road or eliminated altogether. Looking at around $3000 difference now between the trade in Onyx and the Wilderness. Tough to do since I can’t get a test drive and would be ordering in the blind. I like the lift and the cosmetics. Had some reservations about the orange stitching everywhere. It’s less apparent on the Onyx with the green stitching in only a few areas.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Yeah I was lucky enough that a Wilderness was on the lot. The bronze accents are a nice change from red that I had on Jeeps and 4 Runners.
I would be doing a factory order so I will be looking at 2-3 months under normal circumstances. The good news is that my dealer is locking in my trade value until that time.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I’d gladly take Wilderness wheels in exchange for my Onyx ones ;)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Nothing wrong with Onyx rims, but I do like the TRD-pro-esque appearance of the wilderness rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts