Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
There are no 3/16 steel body panels or rocker guards much less real undercarriage skid plates. No ability or place for high lift jacks to be carried or used.
I'm curious are there any cars with 3/16 steel body panels? That sounds amazingly thick and heavy. @scalman made his Gen3 vehicle capable of using a high lift jack but it was extensively modified for it. DIY : Hi-Lift Jack to lift subaru

You're right that a unibody Subaru isn't going to be as tough and capable as a 4x4 locking differential with lo-range body on frame or an M1 Abrams tank. There will always be a vehicle that's more rugged or more capable and you just need to select the car that fits your performance envelope.

(longer version)

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
It seems if you want an all OEM solution the HK is clearly the best.

The Rockford Fosgate upgrade is possibly equivalent (not the same but also good) if you add Subaru Kicker tweeters.

Even better than both above would be to get an external DSP amp (like Kicker KEY 200.4) to undo the internal DSP of the head units and present a clean signal to aftermarket speakers. We can do that with the Onyx system (without RF) but if you have the HK system then it's not clear that anyone has been successful in doing that.

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
Goodbye cruel world!

Reactions: chvvkumar

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
plus dual recovery points front and back, the stronger roof rack, and the real important part is the black sticker on the hood.

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
Don't overlook how much safer you'll be with a black sticker on the hood. You'll never travel alone as throngs of people follow you to see what you do with your handsome hood and would leap at an opportunity to help if you needed it. The Jeep guys will be SO JEALOUS 'cause you'll be the one getting the attention no matter where you go. Friends? You'll have so many you'll have to fight them off like flies!

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
If the wheels are the only issue then get the Wilderness and the dealer will probably gladly swap Onyx wheels onto your Wilderness.

Reactions: HKshooter

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
I like the look of the Onyx wheels when they're kept clean but the massive black face of it gets dirty looking super fast in my environment.

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
When I first saw the Wilderness I thought it was overdone but now it looks fine to me and side by side it does make the Onyx look plain. But I'm not an off-roader so I would prefer the lower but high enough ground clearance, the 18" wheels that still have sufficient sidewall, but I would like the darker color pillars and headliner, the lower gear ratio, the 4 tow points, the hexagonal grille.

Β·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
The Wilderness has an accessory side protection black cladding that I think will fit on any Gen 6 outback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts