Subaru Outback Forums banner
81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I like my Onyx very much but if I can trade in for an Wilderness without too much of a hit between new sale price and trade in value. I’m reasonable, I know I’ve had my car 7 months and counting, so I’m not looking to “break even”. I think I leased my last car for around $350/mo so I’d expect reasonable to be around a trade in value of $350 x months off the purchase price excluding fees.

Example $35k selling price without fees/taxes minus $350 x 10 months would be a trade in credit of $3500, so a trade in price of 31500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Picked ours up yesterday. Seems like its going to be a great all weather road car. It's a lot more capable in more ways than one. We have 4 wheel drives for off road and the Wilderness is going to be about as good as you can get for winter driving on the road and not drive like a tank. Jeeps are great for the Rubicon trail and Subaru Wilderness is about as good as you can get bad weather and good weather on the pavement. Im really going to feel better when the wife has to go out on the road in the snow, wet weather, or any other iffy conditions.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
573 Posts
Tough call, BUT, if you're more on-road highway miles than adventuring, I'd choose the Onyx, for the better mileage. The Onyx by all reports is plenty quick, and the CVT gearing change on the Wilderness really hits the mileage pretty good. Now, if your constantly going up trails to camp sites and the like, taking off-road excursions, the Wilderness may be the better option. Lets face it, most 4x4s and SUVs, the Outback included, rarely venture off the beaten path.

I'm somewhat partial in the looks department, as I find the Onyx the better looker, sorry, just not a fan of the black cladding going up to the lamp assemblies, both front and back. I'm personally not rock crawling, and would take an Onyx, add the A/T tires, and maybe a 1.5" or so lift, but that's me. All the Wilderness Editions I've seen locally are $42k & above stickers, or a few thousand more than the typical Onyx, which would pay for the mods, but that's me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tough call, BUT, if you're more on-road highway miles than adventuring, I'd choose the Onyx, for the better mileage. The Onyx by all reports is plenty quick, and the CVT gearing change on the Wilderness really hits the mileage pretty good. Now, if your constantly going up trails to camp sites and the like, taking off-road excursions, the Wilderness may be the better option. Lets face it, most 4x4s and SUVs, the Outback included, rarely venture off the beaten path.

I'm somewhat partial in the looks department, as I find the Onyx the better looker, sorry, just not a fan of the black cladding going up to the lamp assemblies, both front and back. I'm personally not rock crawling, and would take an Onyx, add the A/T tires, and maybe a 1.5" or so lift, but that's me. All the Wilderness Editions I've seen locally are $42k & above stickers, or a few thousand more than the typical Onyx, which would pay for the mods, but that's me.

Understand that thought line but not interested in fuel milage. My Power Wagon eats fuel like its going out of style so we are used to the fuel cost. The cost of everything is rocketing out of sight rightt now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I cant believe my posts about the Wilderness we bought were censored with parts removed to please the censors because something I said about the sheep lining up upset them. This is the new norm. Take out the parts you dont like And make it look like I agree with you. I don't accept the death of freedom of speech. Nothing I wrote was as inflammatory as changing or removing my post. If you don't want opinions then dont invite others to give them unless they think exactly as you do.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
Your understanding of the 1sr Amendment is grossly misplaced and not appropriate on a private forum.

The 1st Amendment, like the others, are prohibitions on government conduct towards citizens. The freedom of speech argument is wholly misplaced if it leads to the belief that a private citizen can and has a right to say what they want on a private forum.

There are no private citizen rights toward another private citizen in the Amendments. That's why it's important to recall the exact language of the 1st Amendment where it says, "Congress shall make no law..."

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your understanding of the 1sr Amendment is grossly misplaced and not appropriate on a private forum.

The 1st Amendment, like the others, are prohibitions on government conduct towards citizens. The freedom of speech argument is wholly misplaced if it leads to the belief that a private citizen can and has a right to say what they want on a private forum.

There are no private citizen rights toward another private citizen in the Amendments. That's why it's important to recall the exact language of the 1st Amendment where it says, "Congress shall make no law..."
Thank you for the correction now read your post script! Kind of like freedom of speech on the news. Cherry pick it till it suits you.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,037 Posts
You have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely none whatsoever on the Amendments.

So let's take a 72 hour knee on this, shall we?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts

From what I have watched and read, it appears that the mileage is closer to a 1 mpg difference. Which could be due to the tires or extra weight from the guards and cladding. It appears to be minimal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
" I generally prefer the truth whenever I decide what I want it to be." Looks about right. I love it when told I I have no idea of what Im talking about. Owning and moderating the forum doesnt make you smart or right. The postscript on your notes says more about you than your quips. You wrote it, not me.
i dont take a knee for anyone. Keep your forum in line or as you want others to follow your line of thought. Sheep is the word of the day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can tell you around town the Wilderness is not going to get good gas mileage. At least for me on my first tank I got 17.3. I won't get much better than my lifted 4R around town. Its hard to not have fun in this car. Its not an fuel economy car. I just hope I can get 25 on my long trips. Let me preface this by saying most of my trips are under 2 miles at a time. Also EPA numbers are so dumb to follow. Driving style, temps, altitude and everything is different from driver to driver. All I care about is getting better than my 4R. I might have to drive slower to get those numbers up. Ugh thats boring.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The first tank on ours was about 28 a gallon but mostly hiway and we are doing about 22 in straight up city driving. Looks like maybe 25 or 26 combined.
That would be amazing, but not possible in the Wilderness I don't think. Maybe my 82 year dad who puts cruise control on at 30mph could get those numbers. He loves to tell me his CRV gets 28mpg. I love to tell him I don't have to leave 30 minutes early to get to an appointment two blocks away.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Still torn. The price delta is smaller now that I’ve removed some accessories I can install myself down the road or eliminated altogether. Looking at around $3000 difference now between the trade in Onyx and the Wilderness. Tough to do since I can’t get a test drive and would be ordering in the blind. I like the lift and the cosmetics. Had some reservations about the orange stitching everywhere. It’s less apparent on the Onyx with the green stitching in only a few areas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Still torn. The price delta is smaller now that I’ve removed some accessories I can install myself down the road or eliminated altogether. Looking at around $3000 difference now between the trade in Onyx and the Wilderness. Tough to do since I can’t get a test drive and would be ordering in the blind. I like the lift and the cosmetics. Had some reservations about the orange stitching everywhere. It’s less apparent on the Onyx with the green stitching in only a few areas.
Yeah I was lucky enough that a Wilderness was on the lot. The bronze accents are a nice change from red that I had on Jeeps and 4 Runners.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts