Subaru Outback Forums banner

Onyx XT vs. Wilderness?

66K views 133 replies 49 participants last post by  afret 
#1 ·
Hello, all! Opinions are like noses, so here goes . . .

The Wilderness and Onyx editions of the Outback will undoubtedly cannibalize sales from each other; heck I struggle to think of any similar examples of "specialty" models so similar to each other being offered simultaneously by the same automaker. It seems inevitable that the Wilderness will end up replacing the Onyx in the lineup.

Do you agree? Or does the Onyx offer virtues that will let it stick around?

The higher ride height and offroad-focused tires in the Wilderness does a number to the turbo's gas mileage, about 3 mpg less than the Onyx I believe. But the Onyx has all the important stuff, including the mud 'n sand modes, the front-facing camera and the full-size spare. And, to me, the blacked-out trim of the Onyx is just about perfect, with the clean front end, amazing wheels and the touch of chrome around the windows that, I dunno, adds a "town and country" vibe. (I like it, anyway) The grille of the Wilderness is too busy, the cladding is dialed up to cartoonish levels, there are weird copper bits I just don't get, and there's a big decal on the hood. I'll take the smoo-oo-th, clean look of the Onyx,

On the other hand, there's undeniable value in the strengthened roof rails and better tires in the Wilderness, but the extra ground clearance isn't, for me, worth the trade-off in gas mileage when the off-roading I'm most apt to do is take it out on the beach at the Jersey shore.

Best thing to hope for is that there's a market for both.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing the Onyx will still sell more because of the better gas mileage. For those who want to make their Outback more capable off road, the Wilderness is a great solution. Practical buyers will shy away from both because for that price you can get more vehicle with better mileage by shopping elsewhere. Some Outback buyers are practical, but there are plenty with $$ to spend so in the end I'm expecting a market for both the Onyx and the Wilderness. Time will tell.

#4 ·
I'd buy one for the looks! :D

But seriously. I like them both. I like the beefier look on the Wilderness. I'm considering getting different wheels and tires for my 2016 and wheel arch moldings.... buuuut... we'll see.

#6 · (Edited)
If the Wilderness was an option, I likely would have chosen that over the Onyx. I like being up higher (like the Forester) but I like the wagon form better for practicality. It would be nice if they had a permanent off road roof basket option like the Toyota TRD models do.

Gas mileage is what it is, you shouldn’t buy a Subaru Turbo with the idea in your mind of hypermiling.

However now that the Solterra has been announced, I am hoping that is a success. I would love to see hybrids and electrics be “options” for those consumers that value that above all else.

#7 ·
"Gas mileage is what it is, you shouldn’t buy a Subaru Turbo with the idea in your mind of hypermiling."

Very true, if you are off-roading the gas mileage is going to be less.
Since the Wilderness has a 4.41:1 rear gear ratio as compared to the Onyx's 4.11:1 you will loss some MPG but gain torque when you are needing it off-roading.

#17 ·
Since the Wilderness has a 4.41:1 rear gear ratio as compared to the Onyx's 4.11:1
I wasn't that interested in the Wilderness, but that spec alone may lead me to trade in my Onyx. The low gear on the Onyx is way too tall. Also the Wilderness has a real roof rack.

To clarify, I don't have any interest in taking any Subaru on challenging trails. I know lots of people do, but personally, I think it's dumb and there are much better vehicles for the purpose. However, lots of roads to lots of great places are dirt and many of them require going up or down slowly, and for that, the Outback needs lower gearing.

#10 ·
In Canada the Wilderness has now completely replaced the Onyx (called Outdoor here).

I am somewhat glad that both aren't offered because I would be really torn between the two, but overall the Wilderness should better suit my needs/wants.

I am looking for a two row SUV with lots of cargo room, a more powerful engine option, and AWD. We currently use an underpowered FWD Equinox to go on backwoods camping/boating trips and it's just barely capable of getting into well established areas and launches. The Onyx would make all our current trips a breeze, and would open up the possibility for accessing new places.

The changes to the Onyx to give us the Wilderness are, for me, overall a positive.
1) Increased ride height will be very beneficial on some of the boat launches we regularly use - the Equinox with 8.3" ground clearance frequently has water right up to the rear doors and only JUST gets out far enough. And obviously it'll also be a big plus when exploring old logging roads.
2) Lower gear ratio will obviously be better off-road, but also should be very advantageous for towing. The reduced fuel efficiency at highway speeds should be less impactful than EPA estimates because I rarely drive on hwys with higher than 80kph speed limits, so 60mph will be the top speed it's driven unless I am passing.
3) AT tires aren't something it'd likely buy since I drive paved roads 95% of the time. With the Onyx I probably would buy a second set of rims for winter tires, and eventually upgrade the OE Avids to a better AS. Would those tires be sufficient for the offroad I'd be exploring? Maybe. But with the Geolanders I know I'll have better offroad capability and shouldn't need an additional set for winter tires. Compromises, but after having been stuck on a boat launch with FWD and AS tires I will take the peace of mind of AT.
4) Heated steering wheel on Canadian Wilderness. Luxury I can live without, but will gladly accept.
5) Geyser Blue is by far the best colour imo.

Downsides of the Wilderness include:
1) Roof rails. I won't be getting a roof top tent. The Onyx's built in cross rails are much more convenient for putting a canoe on top. Only silver lining is buying aftermarket rails that could hold two canoes which may be useful for group trips. This inconvenience is somewhat offset by the bumper recovery points on the Wilderness which should be very helpful in tying down a canoe.
2) Onyx is better for 95+% of the paved road driving I'd be doing.
3) Not a fan of the bright accent colour.
4) Onyx rims are better looking.

#11 ·
I recall when we were buying our Touring, my dealer saying the Onyx was not going to be offered in the US in 2022 model year. After reading further - I see where they are still going to offer the Onyx for 2022. Seems like sort of a duplication of goals. Seems like there is a few things left off of the Wilderness some buyers may want1
IMHO the wilderness overdid the cutsey little rectangles of copper color badging. Also does the cladding really need to be THAT big? Why not cover half of the sides and all of the front and back?? I am being sarcastic here, but I really like the way Subaru did the cladding on the other models.
Also who the heck cares what this old fart likes and dislikes!

#19 ·
my dealer saying the Onyx was not going to be offered in the US in 2022 model year.
I'm so glad Wilderness didn't replace Onyx. The Onyx is just what I'm looking for, the Wilderness is hideous in comparison. I was tempted, but the cladding, hood sticker and orange interior highlights are a firm deal breaker. What I don't get is why full size spares aren't available for all trim models.

#14 ·
I don't think the Onix and wilderness trims are redundant even if they overlap quite a bit. There are tons of examples of this including the Tacoma. They have 3 different TRD trims with 3 different suspensions and other minor differences in addition to their regular trim lineups.
I know several folks that have lifted their Subarus and run oversized tires. It's great that Subaru offers a factory option for this now!

#22 ·
I’ll agree that yes, I do like the aesthetics of the Onyx best, but it wasn’t the primary reason I chose it. For me it was the Startex. I have dogs - didn’t want cloth and won’t do leather. It was the perfect solution and the blacked out trim, dual X Mode and wheels on it were just all just bonuses. Startex should be made available across the whole line IMO.

#24 ·
I just ordered a Wilderness, I have a 21 Onyx, the primary issue I have with the Onyx is the crossbar roof rack it has. I want to mount a Autohome tent (weight 115 lbs, 82" long) I have and with less than 39 inches between bars that left to much overhang, and also I did not like how Thule or Yakima racks mount on this rack.

The Wilderness has a open rack similar to the Forester, Thule and Yakima both have a clamping foot that is better suited for my needs and should be able to get a wider spread between bars. In addition a load rating of 700 lbs. is greater than the Onyx rating.

#30 · (Edited)
The rig is to new MSRP may be a bargain some dealers are already MSRP+. You might be able to get a better price through fleet sales or Costco, but being new it may be a stretch.

Rember this rig is hasn't been of dealers lots yet, basically this is a preorder that we are doing, I was told dealers are not allowed to order for there own inventory.

#37 · (Edited)
I guess the calculus is all about determining your most likely pattern of off-road use before you buy. For me, who won't be rock-crawling (or towing) but who would like to get the Sube out on some dirt roads in the Pine Barrens or the beach at the Jersey shore, the Onyx gives me exactly what I need and no more. Because that "more" in the case of the Wilderness means less mpg and the loss of the Onyx' clean good looks.

I bought my Onyx XT before the Wilderness was announced. Put it this way - if I'd bought a Premium or Touring XT before the Onyx edition came out, I would have regretted my choice. But the Wilderness doesn't cause me any angst over a failure to wait, especially since I was able to get the Onyx at 4 grand off the list price with a CD player.

#38 ·
After sleeping on it this is exactly the conclusion I came to. The Wilderness offers me nothing that my Onyx doesn't already do well, EXCEPT the better roof rack. My use involves mostly going back and forth to work, with occasional off pavement use when getting to trails for backpacking and what not. My Onyx also took me to various national parks and forests last year, and some of the off pavement access was handled just fine. I didn't find myself wishing for something higher.

I'm glad there's another option available, but while the high trade value was tempting, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me.

#46 ·
Lets get real about off roading. There is no serious off roading that any subaru can do. Its a great car with maybe the best all wheel drive but really lacks the ground clearance to the body and drive train to do anything serious. For the snow or exploring some desert roads it might be the best road car built but nothing serious. no one is going to put an XT or wilderness out deer hunting or down an overgrown trail with greasewood or manzanita squealing as it peels the paint off with desert pinstiriping. There are no 3/16 steel body panels or rocker guards much less real undercarriage skid plates. No ability or place for high lif jacks to be carried or used. If you want off road, then fuel cost is not a real consideration for a dozen reasons including friction of larger tires as well as weight added for additional armor and increased drag for every inch lifted and aerodynamic loss due to turbulance under and around the lifted vehicle. I want my wife and family to be safe and have advantages over other all wheel drives for snow, desert roads, long rutted driveways in winter and just flat going out fishing. Leave that to your Toyotas, Rubicons or Powerwagons with tranfercases, armor, lockers, lifts, and large tires. Im not ragging on the Subarus as we have had 4 in the last 10 years, ordered a Wilderness, and think they are absolutely great for their purpose. If you want to push the limits dont look for our outback or wilderness. I will dust off the 12mpg PowerWagon check all the recovery and rescue gear and if you are not too far maybe come and pull out whats left of your Subaru. All have a designed purpose. We love our Subaru too much to just abuse it.

#50 ·
There are no 3/16 steel body panels or rocker guards much less real undercarriage skid plates. No ability or place for high lift jacks to be carried or used.
I'm curious are there any cars with 3/16 steel body panels? That sounds amazingly thick and heavy. @scalman made his Gen3 vehicle capable of using a high lift jack but it was extensively modified for it. DIY : Hi-Lift Jack to lift subaru

You're right that a unibody Subaru isn't going to be as tough and capable as a 4x4 locking differential with lo-range body on frame or an M1 Abrams tank. There will always be a vehicle that's more rugged or more capable and you just need to select the car that fits your performance envelope.

(longer version)

#47 ·
For me the advantage of the Wilderness over the onyx is 2 fold. I have ordered my Wilderness and will be selling my 21 Onyx.

1st is the roof rack, the stock rack on the onyx is not very user friendly in my opinion.Yes you can buy a Thule or Yakima rail system to replace the stock cross bars and that works fine for most application, in my case I am looking at putting a Hard Shell tent on top. It's been done but for me its causes the tent to sit to high about 4"+, and the weak link in those racks is the way they attach to the stock rails which are plastic. The dynamic load rating for the Onyx is 165lbs , cross bars are rated at 150 lbs, (could not fine the static load rating but I read 220 lbs). The Wilderness dynamic load is 220 lbs and static load is 700 lbs. I am building custom roof cross rails that are only 1" high from extruded "T" channel Aluminum that way my tent will be supported by the roof rack, it's going to cost me less than $200 for all of the pieces and hardware. I want the tent to be solid and with very little flexing due to bouncing down crappy roads.

2nd the X-Mode, the Wilderness's X-Mode will not disengage when you exceed 25 MPH in the snow and Mud mode. Before if you were spinning your tires and the wheel speed exceeded 25MPH the X-mode would disengage. That's not good if you are in mud or snow.

My intent is to use the Outback for short off-road trips 1-3 days where I would usually take my Colorado ZR2, because I can not store my truck with tent attached in my garage due to the door height. Where as the Outback with tent will clear by and inch, even after I change out the springs and add 245/65 R17 Falkens Wildpeak AT3W tires. For longer extended trips the ZR2 is by far the better options due to the crazy places I tend to wander to.

In my case the Wilderness makes sense, but each person has different needs and intent, just mall crawling would not make any sense in buying one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.